68 replies to this topic

#41 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

If a single egg is rapidly popping multiple times, your MgAl is too fine. You can use a coarser material or try replacing part of the MgAl with more coarse. It is common to have to tune the eggs for your chemicals. If many rapid pops, it's too fine, and if it smolders without popping it's too coarse. This is assuming the other chemicals are sufficiently fine. I've had bismuth that was coarse and it caused problems.

Interesting, thank you.

Now, may I ask, how would you grind your Bismuth (if needed)?

I don't know the size of my Bismuth, I still haven't gotten all the chemicals needed to start "playing".

I was thinking, maybe in a ballmill. But then again, how to clean that ballmill completely after use? I have bad experiences with cleaning ballmills for metals; I ended up throwing out 2 of them. And now I hold on dearly to my last 2, and I'd prefer not to make anything but BP-ingredients in them.

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

#42 enanthate

enanthate

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Get a coffee-grinder. A cheap, quick and easy way to grind your ingredients down to a decent size (not airfloat, but close).

#43 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

If the bismuth was sold for fireworks it is probably sufficiently fine. My coarse stuff was meant for pottery glaze.

MgAl is quite brittle and will break up fairly easy. You can ball mill it and it will turn to a very fine particle size in a fairly short amount of time. If you want to try messing with reducing size make sure to be careful and read about pyrophoric metals.

What I would try is using something like 90% 250 mesh and 10% of the coarse. Maybe even try to screen out the really big pieces as they might not contribute much to the reaction. Start with small batches until you get a ratio that works. Of course, if you don't have much of the metal it might just be easier to get the right size. 200 mesh has worked well for me and is frequently called for.

Edit: didn't see this last page. I tried using a mortar and pestle and it didn't work with the bismuth very well. It seemed to smear and stick to everything. It would probably make a mess of a ball mill. A blade mill would probably work better as mentioned.

Edited by FlaMtnBkr, 30 September 2014 - 09:29 AM.

• Ubehage likes this

#44 enanthate

enanthate

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

The problem is that I can't (no, I really can't) get my hands on anything coarser than #250, except the 10-100. Will try your advice on mixing the two though, hopefully this works.

Will not put it in my ball mill as I only got one, and won't ever put any kinds of metals in there.

Thanks for the advices, feeling confident enough to (hopefully) figure it out with some experimenting at this point.

#45 Ubehage

Ubehage

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

MgAl is quite brittle and will break up fairly easy. You can ball mill it and it will turn to a very fine particle size in a fairly short amount of time. If you want to try messing with reducing size make sure to be careful and read about pyrophoric metals.

This is propably the most important thing I have learned here. Thank you :)

Blowing shit up is not a goal in itself. Seeing your device working the way you intended, is the greatest satisfaction of all.

#46 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Chunks of MgAl will break apart with a hammer.

Make sure to read up on milling metals. When new surface is exposed and is exposed to an oxygen rich atmosphere it will rapidly oxidize the new surface. This releases heat and will start a fire which can be very fierce. If you decide to reduce particle size, assume that you WILL have an accident and take every precaution possible so you won't get hurt when it does. Opening up the milling jar for the first time is usually the most dangerous part, long after you have shut off your remotely controlled mill. If you only need small amounts, a blade mill might work at the end of an extension cord.

But please read up if thinking about doing this!
  • Ubehage likes this

#47 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:22 AM

Also, you can make extra mill jars and get some dedicated media. If you end up milling a lot of something it can be easier to get a dedicated jar instead of cleaning a few times each time you mill.

But you are right not wanting to contaminate your mill.

#48 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:everything that goes against the grain

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Very interesting thread.

Yes, I also believe the chinese DE are rolled (many of them anyway). Got a couple of hundreds here from commercial fireworks, they're about 1,5mm size and perfectly round. Produces one single, great bang!

Spitfire, do you mind sharing your bismuth-comp? I only have bismuth, and my earlier issues have been that they pop and produce many small crackles. Not a very interesting effect, looks extremely unprofessional in the air. Please share yours if you don't mind, sounds like you're on to something!

Also, what mesh is the MgAl/etc you used?

For what it's worth, here's the comps I've been using:

Bismuth trioxide Dragon eggs

Bismuth trioxide 75

Magnalium (-200 mesh) 15

opper (II) oxide (black) 10

Aluminium (atomized, -200 mesh) +5

Nitrocellulose lacquer 10%

Wow have been offline for a few days, but here's my reply anyway... I use this same formula too. MgAl is 150 - 200 mesh. Meanwhile i found a way to get the grains less porous. After drying i sieve them to get the small material out, the bigger ones are hand-rolled in a bowl with another layer of material. This produces more dense grains. I should try coarser MgAl too, sound promising! 

Churchill, you're drunk.... Yes, Mary, and you are ugly. But i'm sober tomorrow.

#49 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:27 PM

I have some (200g) testbatch primed ready and made some items with it to test the delay, but i didn't have time to do so yet. 

Update. I tested a 1'' fountain and a single shot bombette (also 1''). The fountain had unprimed crackling, the bombette had primed crackling. The fountain functioned good lots of crackles but as mentioned in the thread, many small crackles and no big pops. Still pretty nice for the kids though! The bombette functioned perfect, shot... tail effect... BOOMm.. small trails and pretty loud crackle! Very nice delay. Enough for my needs anyway. I am getting there step by step i guess!  :)

Churchill, you're drunk.... Yes, Mary, and you are ugly. But i'm sober tomorrow.

#50 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yes another reply.. sorry. While working and pondering the method of making crackling microstars... an idea popped in my mind. As a kid i used to buy sparklers ''morning glory'' they burned in in three stages, red flare, gold with white flashes, white flare. The gold with white flashes caught my attention. What if i make white strobe composition, bind with NC, granulate, roll a little more to make them less porous, and prime?? Well, i did and it makes a great effect when mixed with a slow gold fountain comp. Also made a sparkler with it... perfect! Just made some 2'' rocket heading stuffed with it test soon. These small microstars strobe for roughly 2 - 5 times. 

#51 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Do you think you might be able to just tumble the wet grains after granulating to round them out and get them more dense?

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#52 spitfire

spitfire

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:26 AM

I tried that Mumbles, but it is really tricky. Or they stick together, or the major part breaks apart into finer dust. I found drying first and tumble with additional powder worked best for me. But there might be plenty of pyro's who have a better way! 

#53 enanthate

enanthate

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

Will try to roll them further spitfire, sounds like a good idea. I only granulated them, to create very porous granules! These obviously don't make great dragon eggs.

By the way, all I have is 400 mesh spherical aluminum. Anybody knows if this is a critical detail?

#54 schroedinger

schroedinger

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yeah you will need much carser mgal for them

#55 enanthate

enanthate

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:28 AM

schroedinger, I was referring to aluminum. Not mgal! :)

Got 10-100mesh mgal that I will try, this is coarse enough (if not too coarse...).

#56 swapnilsutar1988

swapnilsutar1988

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Playing with fire,Pyrotechnics.
    Learning new pyro related stuffs, Chemistry, Aerial shell.

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

schroedinger, I was referring to aluminum. Not mgal! :)
Got 10-100mesh mgal that I will try, this is coarse enough (if not too coarse...).

if you are planning to make dragon eggs you must need to use magnelium alloy, aluminum must not work for dragon eggs.
200 mesh magnelium work pretty well for me.

:)  :)  :)  :)  Never forget the people who asked
you to give up, so that you can
remember to call them to your success
party and make them eat up their own
words..............
:) :) :) :)

#57 enanthate

enanthate

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

if you are planning to make dragon eggs you must need to use magnelium alloy, aluminum must not work for dragon eggs.
200 mesh magnelium work pretty well for me.

Check the recently mentioned compositions. They call for aluminum. And MgAl, of course.

#58 Yus

Yus

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Pyro

Posted 26 March 2021 - 03:40 AM

Crackling flower microstars (0:38) based on CuO/Bi2O3/AlMg = 60/20/20 core composition. Sorry for unfocused camera.

• ronmoper76 likes this

#59 Yus

Yus

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Pyro

Posted 28 March 2021 - 12:32 PM

• ronmoper76 likes this

#60 ronmoper76

ronmoper76

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:Building computer,science,chemistry,anything pyrotechnic related,3# whistles and strobes at the moment.

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:26 PM

These are badass,nice stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users