APC Forum

Where to get screens

MrKC

Where can I get mesh screens for making BP? I know I can get a few small strainers from WalMart or the like, but I'm unsure as to their mesh size. Is there some place I can get a kit or should I go about it piecemeal (window screen, spaghetti strainer, etc)? I want to be sure I have to correct mesh size for certain applications.

McMaster Carr will have all the screening material you need. You'll of course have to make your own screens. If you want them premade, maybe try bucket screen?

www.bucketscreen.com

McMaster Carr, good idea. Thanks. My next question is what size mesh do I want? What are the "standard" sizes for making lift and such?

Hello,

Here is maybe what your looking for.

Al.

That is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks.

I use kitchen screens. The most common sizes are 20 and 40, although I used to use a 12 for screening fountain comps. The best way to find out the mesh size is to count it yourself. Find a body part that is one inch (no, not that one :)) For example, the tip of my pinky to the first wrinkle in the first joint is approximately 1 in. Just bring a pen with you to Walmart, put your 1in body part on the screen, and use the tip of the pen to count the spaces. If someone asks you what your doing, just look at them and show your teeth, it scares them off every time. Just kidding, but seriously, finding lengths on your body is a great thing to measure things. Maybe, the inside of your elbow to your wrist is 1 foot. Now you can measure anything in the world, so long as you've got the time. Good luck

Note that you want to pay attention to the opening size, not the mesh number, when buying screen. You might actually have to buy a 20mesh screen from McMaster to get the right opening size that corresponds to the "standard" 30mesh opening size.

Cross-reference this chart <Skylighter Mesh to Micron Conversions> to the opening size listed in the screen catalog. It's best to go with a lower mesh count screen that gives you close to the right size opening. The advantage is that the wire will be thicker, and not wear as readily. Also, buying anything with an opening smaller than 100mesh is silly..it will take forever to sift through.

Here's the McMaster p/n I'd suggest:

3mesh (polverone, as suggested by Mike S.) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 3 X 3 Mesh, .063" Wire Diameter,.27" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

4mesh (BP classification) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 4 X 4 Mesh, .063" Wire Diameter, .187" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

12mesh(BP classification) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 12 X 12 Mesh, .023" Wire Diameter, .06" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

20mesh(BP classification) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 20 X 20 Mesh, .016" Wire Diameter, .034" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

30mesh(general mixing, screening together comp) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 32 X 32 Mesh, .0065" Wire Dia, .025" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

40mesh(BP classification) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 40 X 40 Mesh, .0095" Wire Dia, .016" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

100mesh(BP classification, screening lumpy fuels) Corrosion-Resistant Type 304 SS Wire Cloth 90 X 90 Mesh, .0055" Wire Dia, .006" Opening, 12" X 12" Sheet

Edited by FrankRizzo

I just used the guide to find the opening sizes that corresponded with the opening sizes listed on the bucket screen website.

I would maybe toss a 60 mesh screen in there. I use it to prescreen all my lumpy chemicals. It seems to remove a good portion of the crap in Red gum and parlon without being too hard to push through. I don't know what a 100 mesh screen is like. I have one, but I never mounted it.

I found good prices on 12x12 screens on Amazon. I went with a 4,10,20,40,60,80, and 100 and mounted them on frames. Skylighter also had a nice premade set of 5 round screens mouted on bamboo frames.

One thing to keep in mind though. Be sure to have a seperate set of screens if you'll be working with KCLO3 at all to avoid contamination of that particular mix with sulfur.

On UK Ebay seller Mconme has sets of screens for sale in pyro usable mesh numbers. They are four inches square.

I melted some into plastic sandwich boxes for a set of stacking sieves.

Item number: 180532978825 until it expires from public view

Maybe get both his set 1 and set 2. He has these as stock items usually

Keep looking! I found 12" squares of screen is useful meshes for £5 each, and 4" squares for about £1.20 each, sometimes I fuse them into a plastic tub sometimes I use them unmounted.

Ingredients tend to use fine sieves, BP grades out with coarser sieves, chlorate needs it's own set of sieves.