APC Forum

BP from CIA method

LittleOsama

Can people who make their BP by CIA method upload their BP burn tests to youtube and link them here (or upload here directly). If possible then 2gr of BP, camera up close and stationary (not in hand and shaking :P).

Why? Well I personally don't have much faith in that method and since there are many users in this forum someone hopefully can prove im wrong (everywhere else people have failed to post a simple burn test to prove their argument). But without visual proof it's like claiming that one can walk on water. And why not to make a little competition. :)

CIA is not CIA. You can make mistakes, you can improve the basic approach etc.

One of the major variables is whether you used ballmilled C/S or not. The quality of the

C/S can´t be controlled by the CIA process.

Given finely integrated C/S is used, CIA made powder will match a 3 component product.

Claims that the former will by far surpass the latter are wrong. But there are arguments

pro CIA as are pro 3 component milling.

Obviously without milling C&S it's impossible to make fast burning powder (anyone who wishes to object please post a video) so i take it for granted that everyone who claims that they make fast powder with CIA use milled C&S. As for getting it wrong - there are lot of things you can get wrong when you learn how to make BP (in every step of the way). But i wanted for people who feel that their powder is good (ones who think they have mastered the art of CIA) to post their videos.

When I started making gunpowder I used coffee-milled C/S in absence of a ball mill.

The outcome was good enough to lift comets and shells, but I guess it was nowhere near GOEX.

By now - in absence of large milling capacities - I still stick to CIA. I don´t have a cam. The only I can say is that my powder outperformed anything I dug out of consumer fireworks. I´m lifting shells with about 7% 4F by weight - really no intention to improve or to get involved in pyro golf.

Von Maltitz, who probably came up with the ballmilled C/S CIA approach, made grain surpassing the 1m/sec in the linear burn test.

CIA can yield turbocharged BP, but less is sufficient for everyday pyro.