APC Forum

firing shells from the same mortar

pyrochris732

Im sure some of you do this too but do you think firing a shell out of the same mortar a minute or two after the last one, is a bad idea? Those things stay pretty hot for a few minutes. Would you recommend getting 2-3 of the same sized mortar for safety reasons? I know black powder probably wont ignite with just a warm to semi hot tube but id rather not blow a hand off. I also check for any embers in there.

Chris

The danger is from pieces of the over-wrap from the previous shell that may still be glowing (burning, really) in the bottom of the tube.

The tube being warm, in and of itself, really isn't an issue.

But that's one reason for the rule about not placing any body part over the tube when reloading, under any circumstances.

Mortars are cheap especially compared to eyes, hands arms etc. $5 for another tube won't even get you to the hospital.

A shell firing correctly leaves behind a lift cup in the mortar, this has been scorched by the lift charge and may still be glowing. Adding another shell on top of the used lift cup means it might not go to the bottom of the mortar, and may not get proper height before bursting.

Reloading is more risky than having a tube for each shell.

You have to several shells to get any buildup from lift cups, etc. It is however why I don't use them. One of the other dangers from firing from warm or hot guns is that when they're hot they're more likely to fail.