APC Forum

Shell fusing issues

Bearark

Ok so I had built several shells that I fused using visco fuse that I cut at an angle than dipped in NC lacquer and meal powder and everything worked fine.

Then as we got closer to the 4th I had a few friends help building a few more 1.75" shells that we fused with silver flying fish fuse cut at an angle and primed with meal powder but none save one lit on launch and that blew in the tube. I've closely gone over everything and found that three things had been changed when we made the shells with a high failure rate. I was hoping someone could help me figure out what the most likely cause of the failures was.

The three things done differently on these where:

1: We used flying fish fuse instead of regular visco (Is there a higher ignition temp for this than regular visco ? Or could the fuse have somehow gone out ? )

2: Hot glue was used to seal the outside of the shell where the fuse went in as well as the inside (Is it possible this could have choked the fuse somehow?)

3: Instead of using granulated BP I used benzolift to lift the shells, my granulated BP only kicked them about 20-30 feet in the air and I wanted to see if I could get them higher. (I believe my BP is having problems due to using a hardwood charcoal, I know I know, I'll be purchasing some better charcoal next week. On the one shell that burst in the tube is it possible the benzolift shattered the shell ? )

Any advise on what I should focus on troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated !

sounds like your benzo lift silver FF fuse has light more than easily enough for me in the past with a prime (cant say the same for falling leaf) ff should burn through hot glue with out much issues I haven't had hot glue put it out before (again falling leaf will go out 50% of the time) I think your benzo lift is blowing your shells blind it is much more violent and just like breaking a shell to hard stops ignition of the stars lifting the shell to fast may be causing that

I'd suggest getting some really nice BP and perfect that technique first. The fastest conventional BP is made with very young willow stick wood (debarked branches that are young enough to still have green bark say 3/4 - 2 inches diameter) Log wood is harder to get really soft for charcoal.

Alder and pine are also used where willow is less common.

Balsa, and grapevine both make very fast charcoal.

I suspect that your benzolift blasted the shell out so rapidly that the passfire didn't take fire from the blast rather than the tube full of flame that is a BP launch.

Thanks a bunch for the advice! I'll try some better charcoals for my BP. For future reference though how should I address the ignition of shells lifted with benzolift ? Should I use a smaller amount of it ? Or should I attempt an alternate prime on the fuse for the shell ?

I would try a more reliable fuse. Timefuse or spolettes would be good. No matter how hard of a break or lift, I don't think I've ever seen a proper spolette fail to take fire. You could also try top fusing so that the leader lights the fuse, and the lift just lifts.

Visco threads are bound with NC lacquer, and I've noticed that if I lacquer it and then push it down in dry powder, the acetone dissolves the binding and the diagonal cut end tends to fray and disintegrate. Mostly it still works but I noticed that on some of my shells the stub was very short, and those were the ones that misfired. I suspect the frayed end won't take fire properly and it lights through the sidewall. Flying fish has stronger wrapping than standard visco and doesn't take fire so easily through the side, so this could be your problem - you might be better off not priming it. Otherwise, try making a sloppy paste of meal powder and NC lacquer and dipping the fuse without touching anything solid, then be careful it doesn't touch anything until it's dry.

Crossmatched Timefuse are the choice by many, spolettes when timed properly I find work really well for me. Edited by Cookieman

Pastries and pyro huh? wink2.gif

I know, guys come up to me all the time and ask me to make a special cake for their wives.unsure2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I tried running the quick burning fuse right up against the shells fuse and pointing it away from the lift charge and it worked beautifully ! People in the neighborhood even cheered ! I am sooo super proud of my self, the shell was a tiger tail and silver flying fish fuse shell I had built a day or two ago. It weighed 28g and was lifted with 4 g benzolift. The Shell went about 150 feet in the air and broke perfectly. This is my first perfect break and I am sooo excited. Tomorrow or sometime this weekend I'll try and get video of a few of them.

Bear(reallyhappy)ark

edit: Oh and it was broken with 1.9grm of benzolift and a bit of riced BP

Edited by Bearark

I tried running the quick burning fuse right up against the shells fuse and pointing it away from the lift charge and it worked beautifully ! People in the neighborhood even cheered ! I am sooo super proud of my self, the shell was a tiger tail and silver flying fish fuse shell I had built a day or two ago. It weighed 28g and was lifted with 4 g benzolift. The Shell went about 150 feet in the air and broke perfectly. This is my first perfect break and I am sooo excited. Tomorrow or sometime this weekend I'll try and get video of a few of them.

Bear(reallyhappy)ark

edit: Oh and it was broken with 1.9grm of benzolift and a bit of riced BP

I'm glad it went well, love to see the video! I'm glad that people in your neighborhood cheered, it gives you a good sense of accomplishment. People in my neighborhood just call the cops.

Congratulations!! Pictures, please. I never shoot in my neighborhood, so an extra point for that, but don't get busted. Shells can be seen from a long way away.

I'll get some pics of the shells tonight as long as our camera holds up.

As for getting busted in our neighborhood, well its not the best neighborhood its pretty much "Da Ghetto" and half of the structures around here are Commercial Manufacturing places and car repair shops. We've never had an issue as long as we aren't too obnoxious about stuff. I generally send up one or two shells for "testing" a night so I think we are fairly safe. Honestly I think there is a pretty much universal don't call the cops policy on most things around here.  Alot of my neighbors are druggies and want the cops here even less than I do !

Edited by Bearark