APC Forum

Jobs dealing with pyrotechnics?

ecko

Hello APC. I have a question that I have been wondering for quite some time now. I used to be really into pyrotechnics, but moving and losing supplies has made me stop for awhile now. But I was wondering if there is any jobs to be had dealing with pyrotechnics? Like I mean year round jobs, and ones that I could possibly go to college for?

I can't really seem to think of any that could actually be "attainable", because I know my limits.

Thanks APC.

University of Missouri I believe is the only college that offers explosives degrees, but I believe University of New Mexico does extensive military weapons research, but im not sure.

Well, if you want to do display type pyrotechnics, you're better off dropping out of college. There is no degree that is helpful in anyway really. Maybe a business degree as you'd be starting a company, probably putting on shows. There are very few manufacturing jobs out there, and well, they're manufacturing jobs and pay very poorly. The only thing college will do for you for that is make you pissed off because you think you deserve more money.

As far as other types of pyrotechnics, like propellants and military stuff, something along the lines of a chemistry, chemical engineering, or aeronautics degree would be best. If you want to go demolitions, there are a few "schools of mines". Honestly, they're more geology degrees than anything, with a few classes in demolitions and blast patterns.

Explosives (inc fireworks) are tools in the entertainment industry and the engineering industry, and for the military.

Entertainment - firework displays, movie SFX, pop videos

Engineering, Mining and quarrying, demolition, metal forming

Military, armaments, demolitions, and clearance skills.

Now it's up to you to place your mindset in there and see what you think. Firework displays need a lot of work for a short period in the year (4th in America 5thNov in the UK)

Entertainment get a short college course in production arts or the like, and get all your necessary permits to use and own.

Engineering Chose a degree in geology or structural engineering to know how to find the minerals you want, or how buildings stay up.

Military -local recruiting office, engineers regiment doing EOD etc

You can always major in chemistry which would both land you a "real job" some day as well as educate you as to how chemicals interact in pyrotechnics, at least to some degree. I cant imagine making a real career out of it unless you start your own pyro company. You could always sell chems online and build yourself up in that sense, and knowledge of chemistry would be extremely helpful in that capacity.

The only thing college will do for you for that is make you pissed off because you think you deserve more money.

This quote is both hilarious and priceless, in any context.

A friend who is now a pyro consultant very successfully in the UK started aged 16 in the army learning EOD, that was 25 years ago so he must have been good.