#61 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Herping the durr

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:16 AM

it's pretty but lights with inconsistent speed. i need to tweak it a bit. just a standard AP/copper benzoate 82/18 + 10% parlon. have some 5% dex bound drying. i'll try those tomorrow night if they're dry in time.

#62 Jakenbake

Jakenbake

Pyrotechnician

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

Nice blue Rog. It's times like this that I hate my chlorate!

#63 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

thanks jake. glad i was working on a 10g test scale. i went to prime them and grabbed the b.p. box instead of the kp. noob move *oops* didn't notice until they started heating up then it hit me "ap & a nitrate" SMH! so i burned them off and have a new batch drying. the dex stars aren't quit dry yet.

also this new batch is a bit experimental i haven't seen before. hope they work out as well as preliminary tests indicate. if so i'll share the formula.

#64 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Really the only danger of using a nitrate with AP is that it can form ammonium nitrate which is deliquescent and will attract water until it is a wet mess.

Also, the AP provides plenty of chlorine to the flame and a chlorine donor should not be needed. Since parlon is basically rubber and has a fuel value, that might be why you were having ignition issues without any additional oxidizer. Plus parlon can leave a glowing glob of clinker ash in some formulas.

Edit: dumb auto correct

Edited by FlaMtnBkr, 26 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#65 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

thinking on the line of parlon as unnecessary and dex binder burning too slowly, i tried some pumped to the greatest density i could safely pack them. these are quarter inch with only a light dusting of hot kp prime. bright and fairly deep color seen from about 40-50 feet. for consisten burn each star should be pressed to a similar density.

you tube doesn't do it justice...

Edited by rogeryermaw, 27 August 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#66 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

this is a slightly modified version of the pihko blue mentioned upthread. me like!

i have noticed that a lot of the blue formulae burn too slowly to keep up with other colors or, making them small enough to give a similar duration makes them hard to see in the sky. so i basically took the pihko formula from page 1 of this tread and added 5-7% ammonium perchlorate to increase burn speed while hoping the chlorine in the ap would help with color retention. above is the result.

Edited by rogeryermaw, 02 September 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#67 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

ok...i need help here. this is from the same batch of stars in the mine i just uploaded upthrerad. at 80-100 ft., they perform fine but as you can see, at about 350 ft up, they are all but invisible. and it is driving me nuts! pihko blue isn't that far removed from pyro science blue and i have seen others use that with good results. any help here would really be appreciated. the color is fine but the brightness is dog doo.

they are slightly brighter in person than on video but still dissappointing.

#68 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

thank you to Niladmirari for the composition. finally a decent blue that you can actually see in the air!

sorry the video is a bit out of focus. there may have been a smudge of the lens...

#69 Zmuro

Zmuro

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:28 AM

That's really nice blue. Would you mind sharing the formula?

#70 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

It's not my formula. It's a bit modified but I got it from the pictures in Niladmirari's gallery. He posted the formula but I asked him if I could use it.

Edited by rogeryermaw, 12 September 2014 - 10:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users