APC Forum

Flying Pyros?

Ventsi

Hey there guys, I'm a little worried about flying this summer with all the sniffing machines at the airports that are able to pick up the nitrates from a slice of salami. Have any of you guys flown international before? Obviously I'm not going to go in covered with BP, but still, I don't want to get rejected my $1300 flight because of my hobby. =/

Shoes....

I keep my shoes that I make pyro with outside in the shop. Wash all your clothes twice if you are really paranoid and wear shoes you have never worn in your shop.

WORST CASE: They take you to the side and ask questions, explain that you celebrating the 4th of July. Any residue can be attributed to that. Say nothing more, nothing! Dont worry, I just carry my PGI membership card with me and shrug my shoulders. I have even had them chuckle and ask if I had any shells in my bag, I said, "Nope, lit them all in the parking lot."

Relax, roll with it, you will be fine. I fly all the time and have never been delayed.

Thanks D, I guess the fourth is a good excuse, I'm going two weeks after that. On the down side I am going with half a gross of 3" hemi's... Still though its just paper, I just don't want to make a scene because of my family.

Hmmmm, you may want to read the DOT policy on "Parts and or components of explosive devices" before you do that. All 1.3g devices have to be labeled as explosives and you my friend, will be carrying explosives components. Sorry.

Do yourself a favor and ship them separately.

They sholdn't be suspicous, they are cardboard hemispheres. The X-ray will pick them up as transparent. You can always claim that toy balls are made with them. I've carried hemis two times, the airport security in Europe should be less severe though.

Hmmmm, you may want to read the DOT policy on "Parts and or components of explosive devices" before you do that. All 1.3g devices have to be labeled as explosives and you my friend, will be carrying explosives components. Sorry.

Do yourself a favor and ship them separately.

Dave I don't mean to sound rude but I'm very dibelieving that paper hemisphere's are not allowed in checked luggage[not carry on], I will give the Airline a call, but seeing how they allow amminition in checked I don't see paper being a problem, I'm not inclined to break the law but I have flown numerous times and have never had any problems, and I have flown with very odd items and Airport security was OK with them.

No offense taken, just mentioning that the laws exist and that it may cause problems.

Ventsi,

If you are travelling with your family, then I woudn't take the chance as I have a family of my own. Even if they are paper hemis, the thought of getting harrassed and hasseled is not worth it. If you do decide to carry them, and you get caught, make sure you answer them in a precise and confident manner.If you look nervous to them they will suspect something. I've had my share of experiences with the Canada/US border security and local Police. In the end it's a choice you have to make and I know you'll make the right one.

You'll be fine chemical wise. I flew when I was working at a firework factory. I had clean clothes on, but I'm sure my shoes were dirty, and my clothes were probably caked from sitting in my car. They never batted an eyelash. I had a copy of my license with me just in case, but the sniffer never detected anything. They're really only worried about nitro compounds. Some of the new ones do peroxides too. My shoes probably had 3-4 types of high explosives on them, plus normal firework stuff. If they swabbed my shoes, I probably would have been taken aside but the sniffer doesn't detect fireworks to my knowledge.

Just use the 4th of July excuse and you'll be fine. As far as hemis, I'm not sure. Technically they are explosive components, but so is string and white glue. Do it at your own risk. You can always ship them before hand if you're worried.