APC Forum

quick binder question

pyrochris732

i know that red gum can be used as a binder/fuel but if you run out of dextrin, can you use red gum universally as a binder in its place? I have so much pyro stuff to do tomorrow so not sure if i want to bake the corn starch.

redgum kills glitters dont know why but it does apert from being a piss poor binder yeah it will be fine in most applications

I dont think Red gum is a bad binder, It's produced some Very hard durable stars for me, but you gotta make sure its desolved, or finely powderd. I use a 50/50 mix of Acetone to Alcohol for my Red gum bound stars, first reserve a portion of the dry comp, then perpously Over-wet the composition(just slightly mind you, not fully - slurry/soaked) then add in the dry comp, and kneed the mix. then the mixture is (for me, most stars are cut) prepared as normal. Be carful with colors and sensitive comps, RG acts as a fule as well as binder, take for instance Clarks gigant steel fountin, it uses Red gum as the fule(if i understood the composition correctly) and binder.

If you are doing colors, you can do some rubber stars(parlon) which is wetted with acetone. They dry within 2 hours and are nearly as hard as diamonds. But if you use red gum, make sure you bind with alcohol.