APC Forum

Vibratory Mill

Pyropow3r

I was just looking at the cascading action of some case tumblers on you-tube (Also known as a vibratory Mill) it looks like it could very well mill black powder to a high quality. Has anyone tried it with black powder and milling media if so how long would it take to make high powered black powder. what are your toughs and opinions i think it will make good black powder within a day.......

Here is a good example of one

This should be pinned to the ball-mill thread for all time. I have a few tumblers for reloading and they do a splendid job cleaning brass, the first is a water soap solution to wash all the dirt and powder off and the second is a drying solution of old cobs with no buffing solution and the third is walnut hulls with rouge for a bright finish.

Why would I tell you this???? They polish and clean, they do not damage the brass (mill) and are absolutely useless for pyro.

The cascading action of a ball mill turns brass casings into a ballpeened mess of damaged brass. There is no way that you will get a better BP from a vibratory tumbler then a cascading type.

If there is anyone that wants to try this out on their own, I have a Lyman tumbler that I will let you try for free, all you need is to send me a check of its cost and Ill ship it to you to try and will shred your check when it comes back to me in the mail.

i think it will make good black powder within a day.......

Here is a good example of one

Even a Harbor Freight rock tumbler will made decent BP in 12 hours, and it'll cost $35. But the best bet of all is to skip both vibratory and rock tumblers and go right for a ball mill. It is possible to make an "industrial" unit for less $$ than either with a bit of scrounging.

or you can make lift powder in 2hours with homemade ball mill for free :P

Show-nuff!