APC Forum

some advice on my break

pyrochris732

only have a few shells left to put together so i want some final advice. The shells are 5 inch and the break is KP covered rice hulls. KP is using sulfur and willow charcoal. I would like to know if should use a booster on these KP's. My stars will be, tiger tail, organic blue, ruby red, emerald green, metallic white, glitter and strobe.

Do you recommend the slow nitrate flash booster?

No booster at all?

Or whistle mix ( i have sodium benzoate and KCLO4).

I hear so many conflicting things and i just want these things to break well. Ive only made 3 inch shells before so this is a big step up and very time consuming so i dont want to fuck it up. I will be pasting 8 layers of 3 strip method (16 total layers).

Thanks!

Chris

PS- i cant believe how much rice fits into a 5 inch shell!!! I made 600 grams of KP mix on 100 gms of rice and its drying now.

Edited by pyrochris732

I'm confident that your KP burst charge will be sufficient by itself and no additional boosters would be needed. But, are you using paper or plastic hemisphere? I'm speaking on literary knowledge rather than experience, but from what I've read there could be differences between the two. If it is paper, multiple sources tell me a 5" shell would be fine with just KP burst charge but I'm not entirely sure how it'll perform with plastic. Perhaps it might need a little bit of a booster with plastic so it breaks better, I'm not sure.

Make sure to get videos :).

yes they are paper, and I dont want to blow any stars blind. I hear that the blues are especially prone to this.

I would stick with just the burst alone. KP is easy to over burst with the use of boosters. It should break plenty hard as it is.

If you're worried about blowing stars blind, focus on the priming. Step priming should be a good way to ensure they all get lit.

Oh man, Turned a few KP bursted shells into salutes that way(with booster) blew EVERY star blind, while the same exact shell, made the same way exept without booster broke and lit 75% of the stars(alas my priming sucked on those stars so i figured as much) Im sticking to no booster, or BP, wasted far too many(a full batch of lancaster gold, and a full batch of lactose blue stars) stars in finding the perfect burst(helped with getting my timing right though!)