APC Forum

Spinning Fireworks

d4j0n

Well a previous thread on this general topic was deleted, but I hope this one would be good enough to constitute a new thread.

To begin with, many buzz bomb toolsets have rammers that are simply tapered for the initial end plug. I am using wouter's method:

http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/EN/buzzbombs_EN.html though I don't know if one is better than the other.

I am also using his fuel composition, splitting the 9 parts aluminum to half spherical 25-30 micron and half 325 flake. I'm using alder for the charcoal and the comp is sieved together. My buzz bomb spins on and off and doesn't lift off. After the device finished burning out, the hole survived fairly well going from an initial 1/8" to a 5/32"ish hole.

I know there are other methods like vissers which uses a stick attatched to the end instead of a wing simply to keep the exhaust hole angled during the spin to achieve upwards thrust, was wondering if anyone had any more insight?

Here is the chopper page I made up more then a year ago.

http://www.geocities.com/picricsalt/helicopters.htm

Your problem is that you need a much more fiercly burning powder. You need to mill your BP, then screen in the metals/coarse charcoals. Your screened comp is WAY too slow.

And yes at the very least a straight stick at the end to keep the vent oriented correctly.

Use the tool that is described in wouter's page. In my opinion it works way better if you know what you are doing. Another thing to do is once you have drilled your fuse hole make sure your clay plug hasn't cracked. If it has the paper will rapidly expand and decrease thrust enough to not lift off. Oh by the way I use ther method where you put the stick at the very top of the tube and angle the thrust by about 45 degrees.

Wouldn't simply angling the thrust instead of using a wing only temporarily create an angle for thrust? Wouldn't the device straiten itself out once it's taken off the ground and the stabilization stick has no more use?

And how can I possibly check if that thing cracked or not? :blink: You mean the clay surrounding the cavity right?

Well when you pour the clay out, large chunks of clay would be a good indicator. Shining a light down the tube would also be acceptable and probably the most certain wait.

Actually if you make the stick long enough the thrust won't level itself out. If the stick is lost then only will it level out. It happened to me before. It was flying high fast and the stick fell off. Then it hung in that spot in the air and spun in that spot fast enough to create a high pitched whine. It was sweet.