APC Forum

BP Storage

apcqazwsx

What do you guys use to store BP? A plastic bag since it won't create shrapnel? A metal tin? A plastic container?

Thanks

What do you guys use to store BP? A plastic bag since it won't create shrapnel? A metal tin? A plastic container?

Thanks

Plastic is good, BP comes in tin cans so that is good too. No glass, bags are OK if they are then stored in an impervious container. BATFE calls for a 1" or thicker box made from wood for BP up to 50# to make it legal.

One thing seldom mentioned, you have NO rights to own and store BP for fireworks at the federal level, you MUST have a firearm or canon in order to posses BP. Make or buy a simple canon or BP gun to make yourself legal, it will greatly decrease your exposure if the Nazi neighbors call the cops on your hobby. IMHO

Yup! That will keep you legal. Also, there is a provision for the BP remaining in its original container so a lot of us use old BP cans to store powder.

As far as I know, one. Storage. You can't just have the stuff in a bag under your sink. You'll need a magazine, similar to a gun safe, something intended to store explosives without them being able to get stolen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do I need to consider storing my BP in static disapative plastic containers? Or is that a totally unnecessary step?

Thanks for the help.

I would say its a bit over the top, especially if its granulated, it can't hurt though so if you already have some anti-static containers use them!

By plastic container, do you mean a small Tupperware-type plastic container with a snap on lid? I don't have access to BP so as that I would be able to use the old tin can after it is empty.

Thanks for the info for the cannon tip as well.

A quick call to your Fire Marshall will answer what the storage requirements are for black powder and a good place to start would be to not mention that it is homemade and see where it goes.

Remember, the AFT exclusion for BP is for use in sporting (and other) firearms like cannons and it makes no difference whether it is legal to discharge said cannon on your property.

All of that said, remember that you still must store it in a magazine no matter if it is one ounce or 50# if it is homemade according to the ATF. Remember also to follow distances outlined in the orange book.

I know I should be putting the container in a magazine for safety. I'm just wondering what type of container the BP itself should go in. I'm getting mixed reports on plastic containers. Some say yes, some say no.

I know I should be putting the container in a magazine for safety. I'm just wondering what type of container the BP itself should go in. I'm getting mixed reports on plastic containers. Some say yes, some say no.

Plastic containers are the good, no shrapnel to worry about, they dont hold the pressure and with a dryer towel wiped around the inside, they are static free as well. Bars are fine too, just put the bag into a container of some type.

The best containers are cardboard or paper. Sparks bounce off them and with a well diluted coat of lacquer, they resist fire as well.