APC Forum

my KP

pyrochris732

I made KP wednesday from regular airfloat charcoal. Tried it out today and it isnt as fast as i thought it would be. My reg black powder is much faster. Im thinking of trying some with my willow charcoal. Good idea? Any suggestions? These hulls will be going in 4 inch shells and possibly a few 5 inchers.

Chris

Chris, Don't worry. KP burns half the speed of BP in open air, but when confined it burns twice as fast as BP. For an 4" I'd advice to paste about 8 to 10 layers.

Chris, Don't worry. KP burns half the speed of BP in open air, but when confined it burns twice as fast as BP. For an 4" I'd advice to paste about 8 to 10 layers.

really? Why is that? I may try a batch with willow charcoal to see the difference.

Thanks

I made KP wednesday from regular airfloat charcoal. Tried it out today and it isnt as fast as i thought it would be. My reg black powder is much faster. Im thinking of trying some with my willow charcoal. Good idea? Any suggestions? These hulls will be going in 4 inch shells and possibly a few 5 inchers.

Chris

I made a batch of KP#46 on Monday and when I tested it, it almost took my eyebrows off as i didn't expect it to burn so fast. It calls for lampblack instead of charcoal. If you want I can post a test on it. Here is the comp.

Potassium perchlorate 70

Lampblack 25

Potassium Dichromate 5

SGRS +2%

cool, yea id love to see a video of that. I used dextrin in mine instead of sgrs. Think it matters?

cool, yea id love to see a video of that. I used dextrin in mine instead of sgrs. Think it matters?

Doesn't make much of a difference. It's the lampblack and dichromate that made the difference.

i guess the dichromate speeds up the reaction? I have some lamp but no dichromate.

Here is 10g of my KP #46 test.

I used the version with just charcoal and dichromate (No 44 I think), to break an 8" shell. It broke pretty hard, but nice and symmetrical. I don't know how much smaller it would be effective for.

I used KP for down to 3inch shells (#1?)

70 Potassium Perchlorate

18 Hemp charcoal(I used Hardwood, hemp works well also)

12 Sulfur

+2 SRGS (I used Red gum, seems to work fine)

Ball milled Everything exept the perchlorate for 24 hours(HF mill filled with 96g of the above C, S, and RG) Screened, and moistened with Alcohol/acetone mixture. and screened through a corse screen.

Very nice, used it as lift a time or two. 50/50 with BP and sometimes alone(helped when my BP sucked)

I used the version with just charcoal and dichromate (No 44 I think), to break an 8" shell. It broke pretty hard, but nice and symmetrical. I don't know how much smaller it would be effective for.

Did you use any booster? I just loaded a few 6" shells using the KP #46 with no booster with willow diadem and strobe stars. Do you think it will break well?

I did it once, and never again will I use any booster with Perc based bursts. It's just too sensitive to pressure. 1g of slow flash turned a weakly breaking shell into a salute. I've never used #46, but I bet you'll be fine. I broke a few 6" shells with #44. They went pretty good, but probably could have used one more layer.

I did it once, and never again will I use any booster with Perc based bursts. It's just too sensitive to pressure. 1g of slow flash turned a weakly breaking shell into a salute. I've never used #46, but I bet you'll be fine. I broke a few 6" shells with #44. They went pretty good, but probably could have used one more layer.

Thats what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks Mumbles. I wanted to make some go-getters but I don't have any Saran resin. Can I use PVC instead. I appologize, I know this is off topic.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys not mind the dichromate? The toxicity puts me off a bit. When you get a huff of that smoke (inevitable in testing) you've got a few quintillion chromium ions streaming into your system and homing in on your organs and marrow.

At a minimum, wear gloves and if you test, do so at a distance. And realize the residue and smoke are a bit toxic.

[/Nanny mode]

Do you guys not mind the dichromate? The toxicity puts me off a bit. When you get a huff of that smoke (inevitable in testing) you've got a few quintillion chromium ions streaming into your system and homing in on your organs and marrow.

At a minimum, wear gloves and if you test, do so at a distance. And realize the residue and smoke are a bit toxic.

[/Nanny mode]

Your right about that Swede, the stuff makes me nervous having it around.I bought it to coat some magnesium for Shimizu's strobe stars and had some left. I wanted to get rid of it as quickly as possible so I used the rest of it to make KP #46 burst charge for my larger shells.

[/Nanny mode]

My container is still unopened and I will only be using it to make strobe rockets next year. It scares a bit as well.