APC Forum

Chinese units of measurement

Peret

I was passing an Indian firework store today and stopped in to look around. They were just unpacking a large shipment of Chinese 1.4G ready for the 4th. Prominently displayed was a cake of "5 inch" tubes - the first time I've seen these for sale. The curious things is, the tubes were only 4 inches internal diameter (I measured them). So I went down the line with my tape measure and found that the tubes on "4 inch" cakes were actually 3 inch, and "3 inch" cakes actually measured 2-1/8 inch.

I can only conclude that the labels were misprinted - instead of "inches" they should have specified that well-known alternative unit of measurement, the "braggah". Or is it the "sukkah", I forget. Anyway, buyer beware.

Whether it's relevant.... but.

In the UK the dimension that matters for classification of fireworks is the bore size or the nominal shell diameter, EXCEPT for cylinders! Cylinder shells are classified by their height, even though they are sold by mortar size.

I suspect that this catches people wanting to import of make Maltese style multis. It may also explain why you found 5" shells in 4" tubes.