APC Forum

Shimizu's silver wave stars

Cookieman

I don't know if this is normal or not but everytime I make a batch of these stars, my whole place smells of a foul odour of rotten eggs. Is this Normal? These stars have a beautifull effect, but the smell is killing me even with a resperator on.

Potassium Perchlorate 40%

Aluminum (coarse flake) 60%

SGRS +5

I bound these with 25/75 alcohol/water Prime- BP meal

Are you 100% positive you use Potassium Perchlorate, and not potassium nitrate? If you have it, you might want to try spraying them with some boric acid solution. That should kill the reaction.

Are you 100% positive you use Potassium Perchlorate, and not potassium nitrate? If you have it, you might want to try spraying them with some boric acid solution. That should kill the reaction.

Yes, I am positive, Ive made these stars 5 times now and everytime I get that same foul odour, I don't get it, kinda also smells like sulfur but there is no sulfur in it. There's some kind of reaction going on here that I don't understand. The stars lite fine with no problems and burn fast because of the high al content.

Do you prime them while they're still wet, or wait for them to dry first?

Do you prime them while they're still wet, or wait for them to dry first?

I prime them when they are still wet.

Next time you may want to try to wet them with boric acid solution, or thinned wheat paste. I think the BP might be getting to the aluminum and reacting, thus the sulfur smell. There are very few things on this earth that can be mistaken for sulfur compounds.

Next time you may want to try to wet them with boric acid solution, or thinned wheat paste. I think the BP might be getting to the aluminum and reacting, thus the sulfur smell. There are very few things on this earth that can be mistaken for sulfur compounds.

OK, thanks Mumbles, I'll try that next time and see what happens.