APC Forum

Bickford fuse

PyroMan LTU

Hi, Guys,

I recently got a piece of bickford safey fuse, but is it safe - I don't know :D here are few pictures comparing to normal time fuse:

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k424/fastzone24/turbofuse.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k424/fastzone24/turbofuse2.jpg

It looks like a freak'n iron or telephone wire :D It is not as stiff as the new chinese time fuse, it is more flexible. It has two thick layers of threads, and a asphaltum barrier. It is 5mm in Dia. the inner bp core is around 2-3mm dia. Burns fairly well around 1cm/s. Ignites from a cross-mach. So the question is.. Is this bickford time fuse my be used instead of the chinese time fuse? Does it change it's properties according to time? As far as I know it may be at least 10 years old, It smells a little weird two.

What do you suggest about it's possible use's?

Regards

PyroMan ^_^

If it's been kept dry then if should be OK! The tar layer is to prevent moisture getting in from the sides. Probably it was intended to be used as delay in mining high explosive work -the tar layer helped protect it from water in mines or quarries.

I have a little bit. It's not too bad, just don't try for very long timings (over 2" or so). After a while it tends to get too hot and burn through the side, prematurely setting off whatever it is you're trying to time. I've heard very long pieces can put themselves out from molten tar(over 10").

The stuff I have is pretty white. Possibly painted or coated with cloth tape. You maybe just have a dirty outer layer from storage.

Strangely it was used in the days of early mining as a delay fuse and often used in long pieces -like six feet! and short lengths were waste as they didn't let you have time to get away.

Mine never went out, just something I had heard. However, the stuff definitely burned through after a few inches. The blasting stuff probably wasn't inside the charge. Also most of the time any fire wouldn't have set off anything any way in that application.

Mumbles, Yes - it is probably dirty from storage. Good point, about long timings, even burning 5 seconds the asphalthum starts to boil.. But for 3-4 inch shells it's probably not a big deal. what do you think? :)

PyroMan ^_^