APC Forum

New Blue

Ventsi

I dried mine at about 250*F, for a about four hours, and the CB went from a light baby blue to a more dark, rich blue color, a pretty dramatic change. You might want to try taking a small sample and sticking it in the oven at that temperate for a few hours, you should see the CB drastically change color as it sheds water. It also might help with the yellow edges?

The yellow fringing that you're seeing is due to the carbon content of the parlon. If you use the 82/18 formula, the chlorine released from the AP is all that's necessary for a vivid blue.

A red fringing is normal for the formula; due to the formation of copper oxide in the flame envelope. You won't see it when the stars are flying through the air.

Edited by FrankRizzo

Frank, dunno about the parlon- my non- donor samples show the same flame edge... I'm starting to think my "distilled" water from the store wasn't wasn't exactly distilled. And you are totally right about the blue at a distance, can't see it at all and the saturation is still excellent.

82/18 ratio? so much AP? My snapshot from the above post is 2:1- doesn't take THAT much CuBenz to get the color eh? I'll try a 4:1 mix next once my oven batch dries.

Ventsi, I'm trying that longer drying time + a bit higher temp and I can already see a difference. MUCH deeper blue.... I'll take a picture of the tray once it's dry and get a weight of the yield. I was surprised by the amount of water this stuff holds! Rediculious! I thought my end amount was better but after looking in the oven I'm thinking not so much.

Edited by Dr Boom

I seem to recall that the 82:18 ratio was stoichiometric. The crystal is known to have 3 waters per two copper units.

Doc,

You can try other ratios, but 82:18 was found to give the largest flame envelope, with good color saturation and burn speed.

• 12 years later...

Hey everybody!

Is there anyone who tried and can share with us any good Blue & Aqua Flash composition based on Potassium Perchlorate ? 🙏😊

I have not tried blue or aqua flash, but I have tried red and green from the Westech Manual. Both red and green work, but look best from a distance. I believe their is also a blue in the manual, you might start there - it is Perchlorate based.

If you are able to find a copy for sale, and do try to make it, please ensure you take appropriate safety precautions (respirator, gloves, hygiene) in handling the Paris Green as it's a toxic chemical.