APC Forum

another pasting question

pyrochris732

Guys,

This may seem like a stupid question to you seasoned pyros, but why does pasting with kraft over lets say, masking tape make a difference? I was pasting shells today and was just thinking that the gummed tape i use has about the same tensile strength as some good quality masking tape. Aside from the Kraft being much more aesthetically pleasing of course.

Thanks,

Chris

I can only speak from my own experience. I dont do it because the masking tape seems to catch fire and burn all the way to the ground. I have had to stamp out a few fires using masking tape but never with pasted kraft.

D

Masking tape, like all tape with a non hardening adhesive, has some stretch to it. Gummed tape, or strips of kraft with wheat paste will harden solid to the layers above and below it. It's the difference between a soft layer and a hard shell.

gotcha, thanks

Wet kraftpaper also shrinks (of course) when it dries. So it makes everything more compact. My shells are rock hard and this way they also withstand the lift better.

If you're skilled you'll know pasting with kraftpaper sheets is going just as fast or even faster IMO than using any kind of tape.