APC Forum

Gummed tape dispenser

jwitt

I searched the forum and didn't find anything.

Is there a dispenser out there that's reasonably priced? Perhaps a tear-off as opposed to a lever-actuated model?

Making something wouldn't be out of the question either.

Jwitt,

What I would do is emulate Jim Widmanns tape dispenser for the WASP pasting machine. After the tape is wetted by the weighted sponge, you take the free end, stick it to the shell, smooth down a length, tear it off, then repeat.

Look at the second picture on this site. The dispenser is the wooden assembly in the back corner. The tape spools off an axle, then goes under a piece of weighted aluminum sheet that keeps the tape pressed down against a sponge. The sponge is in a small plastic tub, which is kept moist by the dispenser bottle (olive oil bottle). The nozzle of the dispenser bottle is located under the water level in the plastic tub, so as the water is used, it refills to the same level.

You wouldn't have to make it look so fancy.

http://www.ctpyro.com/11.html

Two sponges in a tupperware container with the tape running between them is sufficient. A slit on either side of the container allows the tape to pass through. The container should be glued to a board and a dowel for the tape roll to spin on also attached further down the board.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice find dagabu, I like the method that the device uses for wetting. It looks like the tape tears off just before the wetting happens to the remaining tape therefore if you stopped for a while your tape won't get saturated with wetnesss. Cheap enough too but looks easy enough to make one with some sheet metal, bolts and wood dowel rollers.

Thanks for the link D!

Just built 5 shells, and now cutting all those lil strips. The future's looking brighter with a gizmo like that.