APC Forum

Dextrin

DragonsKing

Well this is my first ever homemade batch of Dextrin. I made it from 100% Corn Starch. As far as i can tell, it should be about perfect. I was wondering what you guys thought and i awas also wondering if there was any way for me to be able to test the purity of this.. Thanks guys.

P.S. Thats a piece of toilet tissue in the middle.. It was the purist white thing that i had right on hand.. :P

post-10209-127312100003_thumb.jpg

If you wanted to test it you could dissolve/suspend some in water and add a drop of iodine tinture. Do the same thing with raw starch. If it's good, it should give a red or light purple color. I also do mine by taste. Dextrin tastes kind of sweet and slippery yet sticky.

i have a few drops of iodine, i think thats all i should need. maybe a teaspoon or so. How much dextrin should i add to how much water to test it?does it look ok? i know when i add a drop or two of water to some of it, it gets kinda slippery yet sticky. It just tastes funny to me, lol Edited by DragonsKing

I gotta try this.

Does homemade dextrin have any disadvantages compared to commercial stuff? Would it be best to use it only in certain applications, and use commercial for BP? Just curious.

I gotta try this.

Does homemade dextrin have any disadvantages compared to commercial stuff? Would it be best to use it only in certain applications, and use commercial for BP? Just curious.

As far as i know, it is just as good as the commercial stuff, if its made right. This is my first time making this in this fashion and i am pleased with the results. I did have to do ALOT of reading and look at a lot of pictures to make sure that it came out the right way. Let someone else post on this topic before you take this as fact.

I never used to agree with this, but once you get commercial dextrin, there really is no going back to homemade. The commercial stuff is just so much stickier, and dries so much harder. I'm not convinced it can't be replicated at home, just not with simply cooking. Commercial stuff undergoes an acidic degradation in addition to heat, which really does some wonders. I saw some patents where a boric acid and starch mixture was heated, and gave better results. I don't have a dedicated pyro oven, so all of that experimenting is off limits for now. I also can't find the patents anymore.