APC Forum

what's better to cook?

metalhead

I'm looking to make some lift powder and found a site that sells scrap balsa. They sell all kinds from small chunks to balsa sawdust. I was wondering whether to get the chunks or dust, but i'm thinking that cooking the dust might be an issue because I've never seen anyone do that. Any advice is appreciated!

kyle

Either will do. I would go with chunks as my preference, because it wouldn't be as messy to work with. On the other hand, sawdust would mill faster, and probably cook faster also.

Either will do. I would go with chunks as my preference, because it wouldn't be as messy to work with. On the other hand, sawdust would mill faster, and probably cook faster also.

I agree it would likely mill faster, but I don't think it would cook faster- unless stirred periodically. In sawdust form it would be more dense and create an insulating layer, blocking the heat,. Sort of like the way meal powder burns slower than granulated powder, but in that case by blocking the passage of fire.

thanks for the input. I decided on the small chunks, and yea I did think about that insulating effect. I've tried making charcoal with wood shavings and it did take a bit long.

The way to cook the sawdust is to compress it pretty solid, and poke several holes in the mass with a screwdriver or pipe or something. Some also have cookers that have a piece of re-bar inside in an L shape. Halfway through, approximately 2 beers according to Steve LaDuke, you take a pair of pliers and give it a spin to circulate it. 1-2 more beers later, you're done. Apparently Stroh's is scientifically proven to give better results.