APC Forum

lift

pyrochris732

Hey guys,

I dont have a ball mill yet so I am going to use 2fg goex. I made a shell today that weighed approx 75 grams and I added exactly 5 grams of 2f because I read that commerical burns much harder and faster than homeade, so i didnt use the 10% rule. Didnt get the chance to test yet so is this amount safe to use for 2 incher HDPE mortar? Id also like to say that the fit in the mortar is tight but the shell slides right down to the bottom with no friction. I know a tighter fit can affect how hard the mortar lift is.

Thanks,

Chris

In many cases these days, guys are making powder that's equal to and sometimes better than commercial powder. I think you will be fine with 5g as you said the fit is close, and that powder is pretty fine. Fire your shell and then adjust the lift up or down as needed.

Something to consider when deciding the lift is what size stars are in the shell and how well you timed the fuse. Be sure to stay far away at lift in case it breaks too close to the ground. Have you used this lift before on a similar sized shell to test? If not, it might be good to try a weighted shell with a small rising effect just to watch and test the height it will go. Too big of stars or slow burning stars could also cause a fire if not burned all the way before landing.

Good luck and try to video tape it if possible, we would love to see it.

thats a really good point. Im going to test fire my lift with crackling fuse... much safer than stars and that should tell me if and how i need to alter the lift in any way.