APC Forum

small shells and new star pump

pyrochris732

Hi guys,

I ordered a 3/8 inch star pump from pyrodirect that came today. I would like to use this to pump some simple comps like TT and D1 or willow diadem stars. Is this sufficient for very small cylinder shells around 2 inches? Also, does rubbing alcohol help the TT comp integrate into itself better? or dry faster? My stars take forever to dry but I think they are too big.

Also would like to say that the site looks great, really glad i found it and look forward to talking to you. Im a newbie so if i ask any stupid questions, just be patient with me, lol.

Chris

TT and I think D1 as well use dextrin as a binder, which means you need water, you can't use straight alcohol.

You can add a bit of isopropyl alcohol or denatured spirits (which is generally cheaper) to reduce surface tension (making mixing a little bit easier) and decrease drying time. I use about 15% denatured alcohol, 85% water v/v. Drying slowly is better than drying too fast.

3/8" sounds like a reasonable size for a 2" shell (I haven't made one that small myself, but it sounds OK).

Welcome to the board and the hobby :)

Hi Chris, you'll only need about 6 to 20% moisture to pump your stars. Depends on the type of star you're making. More charcoal means more solvent. You can up your alcohol to about 50%, but with such a little pump it doesn't really matter. Just pump some and you'll see.