APC Forum

cleaning up after using toxic chemicals like bariu

jadesource

Guys Ive tried to stay away from the toxic chemicals in pyro but barium carb. and barium sulfate do not make perfect greens. on passfire the only anwser i recieved was they just spray there gear off with water . I want to use barium nitrate but I also want to clean my gear to the point of not dragging toxic star rollers anf tables around for the rest of there usefull days.Can you help with this clean up dilema maybe mumbles or some of the more knowledgable chemistry guys could give me some ideas. Thank Bill

Sodium, Potassium, or Magnesium sulfate would be your best bet. All are soluble in water and easily available. The first two as fertilizers, and the latter of course as epsom salts. Make a solution of the salt of choice and spray it on your tools, star roller, tables, whatever you need. It will form the insoluble and relativly non-toxic barium sulfate. Afterwards just hose down the star roller barrel/tire and probably wipe the table and tools off and you will be good to go. Use soap and water on the table and tools if you so desire. It will help get rid of the other things like charoal and sulfur and such.

Forming Barium sulfate would be a good idea. It cleans really well, and doesn't gunk up or anything like some other chemicals would.

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any special cleaning measures after working with antimony trisulfide? I know it's not as toxic as soluble barium salts, but it's still one of the more toxic chemicals we use.

You know what, I don't know how to break it down into a less hazardous substance. It's insoluble in water, and pretty heavy, so the chances of it floating in the air are minimal. I would just wipe it down with a wetted rag, and toss said rag away.