APC Forum

Big booms and camera damage

metalhead

Hey all,

I'm getting a new camera soonish, a DSLR with HD video capability, and I was wondering if the report from a large salute or something could damage any part of the camera if I decided to film anything. I'm guessing the mic could be in danger of breaking and maybe even the lens. Does anybody know anything about that?

kyle

Depends on the distance! If you and the camera are at safe spectator range I'd suggest it's no problem. If you are in the fire zone then you should be wearing PPE and so should the camera! Some of the nicest pics of fireworks that I've seen were taken from behind the crowd, but you have to select your viewpoint for your vision of the shots that you want.

Excessively bright lights can damage the sensor. I doubt that the short burst of light from a salute would do it, but a close up video of burning Mg might not be the best idea.

If you should protect yourself then you should protect the camera too. Plus cameras usually benefit from a case and a carry box.

Try the go-pro HD camera, it automatically masks any incoming light that is to bright for the sensor. It is also VERY rugged and can take the heat. Here is a launch of a 3# BP rocket that was taken from below the launch pad and got sprayed with the dross. The camera comes with a case and had replaceable lenses so that if it is damaged it can be replaced.

D

alright, thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking I'll take the better safe than sorry route and shoot from a wayyyyyys away. :D

There is a guy on youtube, displayfireworks1 and he has a lot of videos that are very close to ground zero. He recently posted some close up shots from the pgi shooters class showing a shell shooting through a piece of plywood and some hang shells. He sets up on a stand and uses a remote and so far it looks like he hasn't had any damage. You might look him up and ask some questions, seems like a nice guy and I bet he would take the time to answer and give advice.