APC Forum

sparklers with added crackle

shagaKahn

Been experimenting with the Spirit of America sparkler formula but decided it needed a little more umph so I've been trying to make it crackle and pop.

Tried subbing in a bit of magnalium -200 for some of the spherical Ti--and someone on another group suggested adding a smidge of copper oxide. Am getting a bit more excitement out of these sparklers but I still want more--think dragon's egg on a stick.

Have y'all tried any variations to lend more drama to your sparklers?

Thanx,

s

couldn't you just add dragon eggs to your sparkler composition (just like a matrix comet)

You can add dragon eggs to the sparkler composition, but the small dragon eggs must be

coated with wax. The water in the sparkler comp. will render the dragon eggs useless if not

protected from the water. My two cents.

BJV

You remind me that I just read of a sparkler comp using NC lacquer as the binder--in which case I might be able to slip some dragon's eggs into the mix.

Thx,

s

You remind me that I just read of a sparkler comp using NC lacquer as the binder--in which case I might be able to slip some dragon's eggs into the mix.

Thx,

s

Parlon or PVC will work to coat the DE as well. The problem is that they blow pieces of the sparkler all around and into your eyes. These are placed and lit. Not held.

D

Yeah you remind me that I should have mentioned that these are strictly leather gloves and goggles type sparklers--definitely not for the kiddies.

As expensive as bismuth and lead oxides are I may have to be content with the crackle and pop I'm getting with magnalium and a little copper oxide and wait awhile to try the dragon's eggs.

Yeah you remind me that I should have mentioned that these are strictly leather gloves and goggles type sparklers--definitely not for the kiddies.

As expensive as bismuth and lead oxides are I may have to be content with the crackle and pop I'm getting with magnalium and a little copper oxide and wait awhile to try the dragon's eggs.

LOL!!

I cheat! I strip the DEs from magic whips. There are about 3,000 in a 15' whip. I roll a lot of stars with the DEs as cores and use water in the mix, when they dry, they still pop just fine.

D