APC Forum

tubes and tube supports for rockets

metalhead

Hi I was looking at skylighter's selection of tubes and they have a tube with a 1/4" wall on it. Would a support really be necessary for pressing a rocket with one of those? Say if I wanted to press a 1lb whistle, would the 1/4" need the extra support? I have not press yet so I have never experimented with this. Any help is much appreciated.

Hi I was looking at skylighter's selection of tubes and they have a tube with a 1/4" wall on it. Would a support really be necessary for pressing a rocket with one of those? Say if I wanted to press a 1lb whistle, would the 1/4" need the extra support? I have not press yet so I have never experimented with this. Any help is much appreciated.

No, please dont buy those pulpy soft tubes from Skylighter!! Go to Hobby Horse and get the professional tubes for less. http://www.hobbyhorse.com/pyro_tubes.shtml

Yes, if you decide to fly whistle rockets, you will be pressing the fuel to 9000 psi and you will split the tube. if you are even thinking about getting into rockets (I am beginning to like you), take a look at the Universal Hybrid tooling from Wolter Pyro Tools. http://www.wolterpyrotools.com/?page=cc_catg&cat=rocket

Invented by Steve Laduke, it has combined the Universal and Hybrid rockets into one design that encompasses 6 different rocket types: Strobe Rocket, Long Winded Screamer, Black Powder Motor, Hybrid Motor, Black Powder Whistle Assist Rocket, and Color Tail Rocket. This is the rocket with the most thrust you can get from a paper tube period!

Once you have smelt the smoke....

Hey guys, looks like we need another straight jacket, got us a rocket man!

Good luck, stay safe, ask LOTS of questions.

D

Thanks for the info. I actually got some 4 oz. tubes from skylighter and thought they were pretty sturdy. Of course my vision of sturdy and yours are probably different. I'll check out those other tubes.

Thanks for the info. I actually got some 4 oz. tubes from skylighter and thought they were pretty sturdy. Of course my vision of sturdy and yours are probably different. I'll check out those other tubes.

We all start at skylighter, harry is a good guy but he is in it to make a living. New England paper Tube Company makes convolute tubes from virgin kraft paper. There is nothing close to them, I know, I just finished a four month search for a tube that would match for less money and there aint none out there!

Harry only sells spiral tubes, they are fine for black powder but you cannot do strobe or whistle is them, they will burst. If you have 1# tubes (3/4" ID) you could look at this from Ben Smith. http://www.firesmithtools.com/#/hybrid/

You could use up your tubes from Harry and then make some hybrids after that. You have a ways to go before making whistle, trust me.

D

I've been making some 1# BP rockets and am getting pretty good results with just a wooden dowel and drill bit. I even experimented a couple of days ago and made a 2 stager. It didn't do too bad, the delay on the 2nd motor was a bit slow, nonetheless I was pretty impressed with it. I was looking at Wolter Pyro at the 1# BP tooling he's got up and considering purchasing one.

You will have to invest in some tooling for whistle anyway. Ramming and and drilling into whistle isn't going to fly (no pun intended). You might as well pick up the hybrid tooling and be able to make all the different types you want.

Nooo I was never planning on coring a whistle rocket with a drill bit. I had just been doing that with some black powder rockets so far. I was wondering the difference between the long winded screamer and whistle rocket though if anyone would be willing to explain.

LWS or Long Winded Screamer is an all whistle fuel rocket in which the bottom fuel is 76/23/1 +3 Salicylate mix for thrust and then 76/23/1 +3 Sodium Benzoate fuel on top of the spindle for the distinctive whistle sound.

The more you add to the top of the spindle, the longer the flight. Normally and report is used to signal the end of the flight and to break the rocket so the motor and stick don't lawn-dart into someones skull!

D