APC Forum

Baking Soda

PoorBoy

I am going to make my first batch of d1 glitter. I was on youtube looking at different shells and one guys comments said his d1 sucked because he used d1 instead of sodium bicarb... I was under the impression they were the same thing. Until then i was planning on using baking soda and realized

I don't have any chemical supplier bought sodium bicarb. Is there a difference between the 2 and do they really affect d1 glitter? I know baking soda is fine if u only want to slow down a reaction but i dont want to waste my time and make bunk stars either.

... said his d1 sucked because he used d1 instead of sodium bicarb...

I take it you meant "..used baking soda instead of sodium bicarb.."

In which case you are correct. Sodium bicarbonate and baking soda are the same thing. He either mis-spoke, or is a little dumb.

"Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, bicarbonate of soda. Colloquially, its name is shortened to sodium bicarb, bicarb soda, or simply bicarb."

-WP-

You are good to go with the store bought stuff though it is very easy to over do it.

D

A rwecent attempt by my brother to grow sodium bicarbonate crystals showed that a lot of baking powder brands nowadays also contain some kind of starch to ease up mixing it into dough. This will probably be rather destructive for the glitter effect (as this seems to be a quite sensitive effect) so be sure to test it before use.

Probably far less destructive than using homemade dextrin, if you think starch would ruin the effect.

Baking powder, and baking soda are different by the way.

Baking soda, AND Sodium Bicarbonate are on sale at baking counters in supermarkets. They are different D1 needs Bicarbonate.

Baking soda fizzes as it has acid and carbonate.

Bicarb dissolves without fizzing

Baking soda, AND Sodium Bicarbonate are on sale at baking counters in supermarkets. They are different D1 needs Bicarbonate.

Baking soda fizzes as it has acid and carbonate.

Bicarb dissolves without fizzing

Not true, as mumbles said, they are one in the same:

http://www.thefinalsprint.com/images/2007/04/arm-hammer-baking-soda.jpg

Straight from the Church & Dwight Co., Inc MSDS (makers of Arm & Hammer Baking soda):

Synonyms/Common Names: Baking Soda

Chemical Name: Sodium bicarbonate

Product Use: Food ingredient, Pharmaceutical, Water Treatment

Chemical Formula: NaHCO3

In the US the bicarb with added acid is called "baking powder", that's the one that fizzes releasing CO2 when mixed with water.

Yes mumbles you are correct it was a typo, and thats what i thought, thanks.

Ok, I have the arm & hammer baking soda lol and the guy on you tube made me second guess myself lol... maybe he was from the UK and is refering to what I know as baking powder. But what ever he did on you tube, his glitter sucked so i wanted to verify.

Thanks guys, P.S. how long do you guys mill your star comps (without metals) before screening the metal in? Or if the chems are already fine enough do u guys skip the milling and just screen it and call it good. Asking because I saw somewhere that someone had said not to mill star comps too much... and I was wondering why not?

I mix the ingredients and make the stars, they have to be fine enough (the chems) from the start though and most are. The charcoal is the thing I really don't like to mill, it changes the sparks a lot.

D

From Wikipedia

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate

Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate mixed with an acid and corn (or potato) starch

From Wikipedia

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate

Baking powder is sodium bicarbonate mixed with an acid and corn (or potato) starch

Thats not the quote...

"Most commercially-available baking powders are made up of an alkaline component (typically baking soda), one or more acid salts, and an inert starch (cornstarch in most cases)."

-WP-