APC Forum

Pyro's friends worst quotes

50AE

Here we could share some of the worst quotes that some of our friends or known people have said to us. For example.

-A pyro? Oh yeah, you're one of the people who blows cars and lights buildings on fire?

-Hey dude, what have you used to build these... how did you call them, fountains? You used crushed match heads?

-You're making what...? Aerial shells? You fill with these with what... with nails?

-Hey dude, wooow, you're gonna blow the building dude! The whole neighbourhood.

-What are you? A pyrotechnician? And what you do, you buy firecrackers from the local shop and light and throw them on the streets?

I remember how angry these people have made me at these moments, but now I laugh at their past idiotic attitude. :D

Edited by 50AE

People are people and I doubt every one will fully understand our hobby getting angry wont do anything it just makes you look like the kind of person that the public would not want handling unmeatered amounts of explosives. Not to mention getting angry does no make you feal any better take a deep breath and explain to them what it is. Another option is to educate your friends invite them over to watch you make fireworks (and help out if they chose) many of my freinds (the male ones anyway) have chosen to come over and watch how they are made and as a consequence of this much of them use corrected terminology (using words like time fuse rising effect,broke hard, can shell ,ball shell, apex (or as you Americans would say apogee) but as for those that haven't been taught the correct terminology the couple i hear the most of are

Ralph those colourful bombs of yours I saw down the river were beautiful

and can you blow ______ up for me

Of course,

I don't make my anger appear with emotion, just my soul becomes annoyed... but sometimes some people amaze me with their stupidity. And I don't always feel it's possible to explain to someone, because I've spoken to so much dumb people that I've doubted that they would understand my point.

... Hey dude, that looks dangerous, it's a dynamite!

One guy I know said something like

"-Hey I heard you make bombs, is that true?"

I replied with something like "Well, they're not bombs, I make fireworks, not bombs. There is a difference...!"

And he said: "-Of course, that's what I meant, but could you do one for me, there's someone I would like to blow up!"

It's gotten to where I'm hesitant to discuss it with ANYONE. I told a friend about my hobby, a normally laid-back guy, and now every time he greets me it's with a smirk and a "Made any bombs lately?" I think he does it because he knows it annoys me, and he's trying to get a reaction in a typical male way, but I wish he'd stop.

Loose lips sink ships. Someone overhears "make bombs" and the next thing you know, you've got a BATFE/FBI raid on your home. I've got nothing stored, never do, but I've got a lot of chems, and we know how the average LEO looks at chems. They are useful for exactly two things:

1) Drugs

2) Bombs

I'd say a goodly number of people here, if raided, would end up in jail overnight or longer. It would take time for them to inventory your stuff, and when it's done, your workshop is wrecked, your chems opened, and in general, it would blow.

• 1 month later...
I get pissed off to when people ask me, "are you making bombs?" "are you a terrorist" "are you working for al qaida? I blame the media 100% for brainwashing people not being able to distinguish between a firework and an explosive device and labelling everything as a bomb. It puts everyone in a panic mode thus, pressuring the government to legislate stricter laws. Heck, you can't even joke about it on a plane as they will land the plane immediately. The world has changed drasticly and we are slowly being robbed of our civil liberties and don't even realize it.

I've actually told quite a large number of people about making fireworks (probably more than is a good idea but what's done is done right?), and a pretty good fraction (maybe 50%) of them actually think it's cool and don't associate it with bombs/terrorism. I've noticed that the most annoying people (the ones who connect it with bombs and such) are adults and my closer friends. My dad and his science buddies are the worst....

As a member of an all volunteer pyrotechnics company along with my wife and kids (Jr pyros), I find that the approach I take is more important then the telling of the hobby.

Almost always after telling them that I put on professional shows they say, "Oh, you are those people". It sounded like a put down at first until I asked what they meant by that and then they tell me either that they thought only firemen or East Coast companies did pyrotechnic shoots.

Once I showed them pictures, they are happy and even the cops look the other way and ask for advice when coming uopn fireworks they are not familiar with. In most cases, there is no reason to call the bomb squad, our club can dispose of them with no cost to the city. ;)

• 1 year later...
Bringing up an old thread but your words dagabu have kept me thinking for a few days. When you know your workshop is all ok, clean, no large amounts of dangerous goods, name it all... is it a good idea to just INVITE the local police and tell them about your knowledge? I am seriously thinking about it (after being held behind bars for 3 days for pyro, but walked away without any charge against me), as i know over here they are buried in illegal fireworks from all over the continent and they don't know anything about it. You wouldn't believe the conversations i had with with them those three days. Being stared at as a K3wL bOmBmaker really starts to get a psychological problem for me. No joke, it bothers me every day in such a way, i get nervous of every phone call with an echo or a click, every car that is driving behind me too long, every neighbor that is looking curious when i'm lightning 0.5g bleser blue... It has gone so far, that i have a feeling of being driven in a corner and all i can do is to explain, or to quit. There is a lot on my mind about this subject. I would really appreciate any comment, advice or do/don'ts from you guys.

Spirfire, sorry to say but I don't think anybody in their right mind would give you advice on this subject since it could be taken as approval of doing illegal actions. Its not that we don't care, we have to be careful of the advice we give.

My advice is to stay within the law, build with the guild and a local club, don't make illegal fireworks.

-dag

Spirfire, sorry to say but I don't think anybody in their right mind would give you advice on this subject since it could be taken as approval of doing illegal actions.

Who said anything about doing anything illegal? Sorry if I missed something?

I agree with Dag... My opinion is that it would be a bad idea to invite the cops in, especially since you have already caught their attention. The wrong detective could be waiting for something for you to do illegally. Honestly, if you have nowhere suitable to build without worrying about being turned in, and you can't build at a club event, I would quit. I build mostly at events for the exact same reason. I dont have a suitable place to build where I live, so I build elsewhere and mostly on-site with the club.

"Don't do the crime unless you can do the time." If making fireworks is illegal in your area, don't make them, if you can become legal, then become legal. If you can't then you alone are responsible for the consequences.

Sorry for not sugar-coating it but it is what it is...

-dag

ok, thanks for the replies! as i stated in my post ''I would really appreciate any comment, advice or do/don'ts from you guys'' there's no need to say sorry, i am just learning, exploring. I am not looking for a way to justify illegal activities, (which i don't) but practice learned me there is no real law that states you can't own certain chemicals or materials. Even though the media taught you something different throughout your whole life. It's all about what/when/where you use them. I am a pyro with all good intentions, no bangers, no large amounts in stock that might be a hazard for the neighbors, name it all. I am good-willing and i take the step of getting in discussion. In a good way. Over here there are no clubs, no way of ''getting legal''. It is what it is, and i think the local cops are better off working together with me so we can exchange info on REALLY dangerous items which are all over the place in hands of idiots, instead of treating me like a K3wL who only makes duct-tape B0mBz. I simply don't do that. I hate that. It makes me look bad. I know most of us are driven in a corner, some of you have the possibility of getting legal, but it's not-done here. If no one starts any discussion, there will be no change in that. Again, anybody feel free to reply your ideas. NOTE: i do not live in the US. It's a whole different world.

ok, thanks for the replies! as i stated in my post ''I would really appreciate any comment, advice or do/don'ts from you guys'' there's no need to say sorry, i am just learning, exploring. I am not looking for a way to justify illegal activities, (which i don't) but practice learned me there is no real law that states you can't own certain chemicals or materials. Even though the media taught you something different throughout your whole life. It's all about what/when/where you use them. I am a pyro with all good intentions, no bangers, no large amounts in stock that might be a hazard for the neighbors, name it all. I am good-willing and i take the step of getting in discussion. In a good way. Over here there are no clubs, no way of ''getting legal''. It is what it is, and i think the local cops are better off working together with me so we can exchange info on REALLY dangerous items which are all over the place in hands of idiots, instead of treating me like a K3wL who only makes duct-tape B0mBz. I simply don't do that. I hate that. It makes me look bad. I know most of us are driven in a corner, some of you have the possibility of getting legal, but it's not-done here. If no one starts any discussion, there will be no change in that. Again, anybody feel free to reply your ideas. NOTE: i do not live in the US. It's a whole different world.

Keep in mind that the primary job of the police, contrary to popular belief, is to prosecute, period. In general, if they think they can get you for some charge or another they WILL do it, as long as the process is fairly easy for them.

This is ESPECIALLY true with this hobby if you are outside the law, for reasons you have already stated.

Join a club, go to their meets. Thats what I do and I love it.

Keep in mind that the primary job of the police, contrary to popular belief, is to prosecute, period. In general, if they think they can get you for some charge or another they WILL do it, as long as the process is fairly easy for them.

This is ESPECIALLY true with this hobby if you are outside the law, for reasons you have already stated.

Join a club, go to their meets. Thats what I do and I love it.

Absolutely true. A friend of mine got fingered for a crime not long ago. I kept telling him not to say anything to the police without a lawyer, but he had it deep set in his mind that if he just told them the truth nothing bad could happen. Fact is, even denying their accusations with a simple no can be enough for them. They know just how to ask the questions where they can catch you in a small lie which can be used as evidence that you are likely to be lying about other things. It's not turning out so good for my friend.

This is the sad truth. That is the ''free world'' we live in. They didn't told me that in primary school...... Boy, you need to prepare for a sad, hateful, ugly, individual world where you are being robbed every day and they call it ''your duty to society, and behave as a slave because it makes some people very rich''. In primary school they need to tell kids what's on TV is just a lie. It's all a scam to rob you and make you feel like you really did something wrong.

3 real laws exist:

You must not injure or kill anyone.

You must not steal or damage things owned by somebody else.

You must be honest in your dealings and not swindle anyone.

All the rest is bullsh*t -an excuse everyone believes because they are raised that way- ...to rob you.

The bigger the lie, the more take it as the absolute truth.

Edited by spitfire

The problem is, some of us live in countries where we are forced to be illegal, there aren't things such as clubs.

At least for me, it isn't the worse case. This country is almost governed by the mafia and there are laws, but the most of the time they don't matter much, sometimes for happiness , but most of the time for sadness.

The police knows very well we have a forum, that we build fireworks and that this is illegal. But it doesn't bother unless something worrying happens - explosion, attack, k3wls and so on.. Then they have to catch someone, just to claim he is responsible for all and "get their job done".

Here a good thing is for example - I have connections, I can get away about pyro accusations.

The bad is, another example - imagine a person you love gets run over from a rich idiot topping at 200 with his high end V12. The idiot usually gets away, because he is.. rich and powerful, but you will always miss your friend.

This is the reality here.

The rich and powerful get away for the most part in most countries.

Aren't most (or all) countries south and east of Germany and Austria totally corrupted? All former Warsaw Pact countries plus all countries in southern Europe seem to be run by the mafia.

Though what spitfire meant was of course that morally there are no obligations but being honest, not stealing and not hurting others or damage their property. Making fireworks could never be morally wrong per se.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

Thanks for pointing that out Potassiumchlorate. The problem is not only in east and west Europe, West-Europe is just as as bad, as the whole world. Human society works that way. If anyone tells you that in your country this is not happening, think again. You are fooled, your parents too, grandparents too. People are raised to believe lies, corruption and swindle is normal as long as it is done by a big company, government or bankers and ensurance companies. Ah well, endless discussion and we can't solve it. So, back to Dumb things your friends said!

- ''Can you blow up a car for me dude? I'm willing to pay you for it...''

- ''can i buy that gray powder from you?''

- ''you also build weapons''?

- ''wow... that's really cool dude, are you a professor? Where did you went to school for that?

Or even a funny one, from an old neighbor who was actually cool with it:

''how long do i have to wait before your roof lands in my garden''?