APC Forum

More Skins Added

TheSidewinder

OK, folks, we have two new skins. The skins are available ONLY to "Full Members" and above. Guests and regular Members won't have the option.

That's just one more incentive for Members to participate in our community. All it takes is one reply to an existing post, anywhere EXCEPT the Test Posts forum, and you move from "Member" to "Full Member".

One skin was free, the other one was a gift of a normally paid-skin from the skin author himself, who works for IPS.

"Clean Cut" is the name of the freebie. It was the winner of the skin competition IPS sponsored for version 3, and which was recently updated to work with the latest version of Blog, Gallery, and Downloads.

A somewhat darker background than the default one, and a bit easier on the eyes for those who (like me) don't need the sharp contrast. The controls are laid out quite differently than the default. Some will love it, others... not so much I suspect.

The other one is "APC Retro" (aka "Mystic"). It's technically unique to us, because the colors were slightly customized, but different-colored versions are available for sale from the author. There will still be some work to do with it, and we have to pick a background that we like. It can be a static background (think: "Pyro Picture") or one that moves with the scroll.

The Forum header icons can and will be changed, but we wanted people to have a look at it. It's definitely different. No category headers, which is why I'd like to find a set of a half-dozen icons that can be applied to the forums which are in the current differentiated categories.

Anyone who has an artistic bent is welcome to take copies of the Logo PNG file (which presently says "Mystic") and create one for APC. Upload it to the Gallery or Downloads, or PM me with a link to it. Mumbles and I will pick the submission we like best and make it the "Official" skin logo.

Enjoy.

um this is probably a really stupid question but how do we change the skin ? (from what i understand of your post it is something each user must do for them self)

Down in the left hand corner of your screen there should be a drop down menu. Right now, it probably says IP.Board.

Meh,

IP looks fine, retro would be good for night reading but is too dark in an office with bright lighting.

D

UPDATE:

I took the APC Retro skin offline. Going to make some changes to it, and thanks to the skin author I can do it myself now. ;)

Please take a look at this site, and imagine their graphics choices being Pyro-based images instead. (Hover over each Forum in the list to see what it shows.)

http://www.theillustrationboard.com

I've heard rumblings that "the skin is too dark".

I'd like to get more input on that, though. Is it? Does it need to be lightened up some? Make a second copy that's lighter?

Give me your opinions, please.

Thanks.

Okay, to make up for the skin I've taken offline for some work, I added one more. Blue Crystal.

Give it a look-see and let me know if there are anomalies that I overlooked?

Thanks!

Well, save for the lovely butterfly next to my name as my personal picture, it looks pretty good.

Yah, that's the default when you haven't uploaded a Personal Photo.

Just use your Avatar as your Personal Photo and it works for both of them.

Oh I know, I was just kidding. Didn't quite fit in with a pyro forum at first, and I thought it was kind of funny.

Replaced both the thumbnail and full-size default pics.

Can do this for any of the skins, too, come to think of it. Hmmm....