APC Forum

A slightly different project..

inonickname

This isn't really a pyrotechnics thing. But I'm not a member on 4hv or similar and electronics is electronics, so here goes.

I'm building a fusor. It's a fairly simple (and small) device to carry out nuclear fusion (usually with deuterium). The concept is fairly simple, in a high vacuum environment deuterium atoms are ionised by corona discharges from the outer (positively charged) grid. The atoms which now have a positive charge are accelerated towards the inner grid (which is smaller). The grid is basically all space so nearly all of the particles miss the grid and travel on towards the center. Some impact and fuse to helium. It's not practical (or possible at this point) to get usable electricity from this. You can use the large number of neutrons emitted as a neutron source. I'm only going to test mine for neutrons (aka fusion) several times, and the rest of the time it will be run as a demonstration.

Initial plans are to machine it from aluminium. If that doesn't work well it will be re-made in stainless steel. Basically, I have to turn this:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii259/nonicknameowns/Picture004.jpg

Into this:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii259/nonicknameowns/fusorfx.png

Power supply will be from a VDG, an adapted wimshurst machine or a HV transformer with a variac input. For demonstrations (aka people in the room) it will need to be run at a low voltage of 10-20 kv so I don't end up with fusion (and a lot of x-rays to kill people with).

The design isn't final. Lot's needs changing on it.

Just thought I'd share with y'all :)

Looks like a great project!

I've always wanted to make one, but lack the knowledge of vacuum systems. I heard you need a pretty hard (sub-micron) vacuum with those.

Did you read Raymond Jimenez's book on Farnsworth fusors?

Have a good day,

The Nitrate Fellow

The vacuum system is probably the hardest part of the process if you have basic electronics experience. You only need around 10e-3 torr, which is achievable with a 2 stage mechanical pump. You can buy the pump and vacuum fittings ready-made which saves a lot of trouble.

Fusor's have lower vacuum demands than things such as linear accelerators. Things like outgassing can still be a problem, but this is fairly easy to solve with some care in the materials used. The chamber can infact be made of glass but this needs to be run at very low voltages- the glass won't provide shielding at all.