• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#221 OldMarine

OldMarine

Firebreather

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:Interests? Everything interesting!

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:41 PM

I haven't asked questions about flash and haven't needed to because it's all in the threads. I think no newbie wants to search out info but would rather be spoon fed so they can go right out and make booms.
I like the wiki referral idea.
Come on! Name one other hobby in which you cheer as your money and hard work go up in smoke!

#222 angulini

angulini

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 05:07 AM

It's hard to reply to this post in a way that doesn't offend somebody but I will try...

angulini, flash is among the most potentially dangerous of the pyrotechnical compositions that can be made. I for one, will not answer anybody that asks about flash, especially when it's their first post and I have no idea of your background or experience.  

Do you remember The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe?  Lucy asks Mrs Beaver, "Is Aslan safe".  She replied, "NO! Of course not, he is a Lion! But, he IS good!" 

No, flash is not safe but it can be used safely. Our mission here is to discuss pyrotechnics in a safe manner, I don't get that from you at this point. Perhaps introduce yourself first? 

yea sorry for that i will introduce my self im from spain and i have been around the hobby of pyro for years but in this year i start beging making small fountains and startmains and shellls that question i made before wasent to be a boomer is just a safety question i made to get understund the flash powder i dont need it right now but later maeby yes im sorry if was an inconvenient

inconvenient

#223 flashmob

flashmob

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:14 PM

A friend was doing a reenactment when a charge that we know now contained 7 grams of 70/30 flash powder went off on his head. My friend was originally diagnosed with a concussion, but is still having significant health problems. Could someone with knowledge of pyrotechnic materials be able to tell me how dangerous flash powder really is in these types of situations? I apologize for my lack of knowledge on this, I just want to help my friend out so he can better understand what happened to him. I would appreciate any comments or thoughts. 

#224 NeighborJ

NeighborJ

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Rig welder, trecky, amateur rocketry

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

Flashmob, I'm not entirely certain what you are asking here. Your friend has experienced blunt force trauma to his head and as a result he has suffered a concussion. The concussion is basically caused by the brain bouncing around against the walls of the skull, this often produces permanent brain damage. How severe the symptoms present and how long they will continue is anyone's guess. It is very common that the symptoms are permanent and will cause a number of other disorders such as dementia, short and long term memory loss.
The flash explosion is not a detonation but is referred to as a deflageration reaction. This means that it burns fast enough that the flame envelope exceeds the speed of sound and the report we hear is the result of that supersonic bubble of burning gasses. I'm sure others can explain the reaction better.

This past forth of July, one of my students had a mishap with an illegal M80. You know... The ones with the super fast wicks. The result was the partial degloving of his hand, his dominant hand. He has yet to return to school and may never be able to regain enough use of that hand to use it for work.
Flash is no joke and it is a no brainer to ask yourself if it is truly needed in the device you are constructing. I use it sparingly, only it salutes. I've never needed it to boost my burst charge. As long as enough confeinment is used it is unnecessary.

#225 FlaMtnBkr

FlaMtnBkr

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

How did it go off on his head? What was it contained in? Was it an accidental ignition or?

Does he want to know how it could have happened? Or possible health repercussions? Or how dangerous it is? Or?

Would really need a little more info and better idea of what you're looking to have answered. Potential health issues are best left to his doctors. If he isn't happy with them so far he should probably try to find a Dr that helps returning soldiers as I'm sure they would have the best answers.

If he didn't suffer any burns or lacerations, then I would guess, and it would be a complete guess, that any symptoms will decrease with time except he may have some permanent hearing damage. As to how it could have happened, there isn't enough info to even begin to take a guess.

Give us some more info and hopefully your friend is doing ok and makes a full recovery.

#226 thelawnmowermaninky

thelawnmowermaninky

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

absolute newbie here,  

have no experience with flash powder,  other than the fact that the more i read the more respect i have for it.

very willing to trade off bang for safety,  not into fireworks, interested in binary targets for rifles,

something sensitive to a 22lr vs a larger caliber, 

my question being,  would a less fine aluminum powder mixed at 70/30,

be safer than flake and more impact resistant,  

i've seen some what appears to me some very dangerous practices on you-tube,

as far as mixing, and handling, 

i do not want to become a member of the nine digit club...

thanks in advance for any insight on this......

#227 Brightthermite

Brightthermite

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Could someone please explain the chemistry behind flash powders degrading? Why do they have such short shelve lives?

#228 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

It's all formula dependent. If made with quality materials, and with good techniques they don't really degrade.  I know of a few instances where shells over 40 years old have been fired with good performance.  

Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#229 Brightthermite

Brightthermite

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

It's all formula dependent. If made with quality materials, and with good techniques they don't really degrade.  I know of a few instances where shells over 40 years old have been fired with good performance.  

Makes sense. Other then it being pretty explosive stuff in larger quantities whats all this talk about it not being safe to store and can spontaneously ignite?

#230 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

Well, I would try to limit storage in the open.  Once contained in a device it's quite stable and resistant to incidental ignition as long as it's stored properly (dry, protected from the elements, etc.).  Being in a casing prevents the main causes for ignition; friction, impact, and static electricity.  The most stable mixes are made from potassium perchlorate and aluminum.  Magnesium and perhaps magnalium are known to be somewhat less storage stable.  The metal oxidizes over time, and will render itself inert given long enough.  These tend to be somewhat more sensitive to moisture degradation as well.  

Any flash capable of spontaneously ignition is definitely not using good quality or safe materials.  

• Brightthermite likes this
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#231 lincishome

lincishome

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:14 AM

I know this is a old thread but I would like to ask new questions, this is my vary first thread based forum or any forum for that matter so please forgive me if im using it wrong im still trying to figure out how to navigate around, I have read many posts but still have questions about flash and safety, I have done a fare amount of research online and the information was lacking but that did not stop me from buying supplies online, yes as a novice I did chose to go for the big bang but after joining this forum I have some safety concerns that I have not see addressed I know im going to receive criticism but I just want to be as safe as possible, I will post questions if this thread is still active, thanks in advance

#232 rogeryermaw

rogeryermaw

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Interests:Herping the durr

Posted 02 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

Have you really read this thread? It IS 12 pages. I bet your answers are already in there. But ask. I'd much rather answer questions than read about you in the news

#233 MrB

MrB

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:15 PM

I know this is a old thread but I would like to ask new questions, this is my vary first thread based forum or any forum for that matter so please forgive me if im using it wrong im still trying to figure out how to navigate around, I have read many posts but still have questions about flash and safety, I have done a fare amount of research online and the information was lacking but that did not stop me from buying supplies online, yes as a novice I did chose to go for the big bang but after joining this forum I have some safety concerns that I have not see addressed I know im going to receive criticism but I just want to be as safe as possible, I will post questions if this thread is still active, thanks in advance

Oh my... Do you never breath? Here,have a few periods. .......... ... ...

Anyway, yes, this forum is very much still active, and threads never die, they just hibernate.

I support asking questions, but as the bearded man already said... this is 12 pages of random thoughts, opinions, and musings. Are you sure your questions haven't already been asked, and answered?

(Rogeryermaw, that picture... Damn.)

Edited by MrB, 02 September 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#234 AllisterF

AllisterF

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

as a novice I did chose to go for the big bang but after joining this forum I have some safety concerns that I have not see addressed

I hate to be blunt, but I take it you have not seen the biggest safety concern in essentially every flash powder thread, that you should not be going for he 'big bang' as a novice and/or unlicensed (region dependent)?

Beyond that concerns are good as there is no such thing as a 'safe' 'big bang' flash powder, they are unsafe and the utmost care and respect needs to be given to them even in small quantities as 1-2 grams can remove fingers and/or make for a very bad day...  I'm not saying they can't safely be handled and mixed, people do that all the time, but one even small mistake can turn into a big mistake quickly and way too many 'newbies' don't give flash powder the respect is deserves, as is evidenced by 1000s of videos on Youtube of people that have no business even playing with commercial US firecrackers let alone mixing and rolling their own...

Edited by AllisterF, 02 September 2017 - 10:51 PM.

• AustralianPyromaniac likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users