APC Forum

Chemistry & Experiments File - Creamoras: Different fuels. by tentacles

TheSidewinder

File Name: Creamoras: Different fuels. by tentacles

File Submitter: TheSidewinder

File Submitted: 05 Mar 2010

File Category: Chemistry & Experiments

File originally submitted by tentacles.

FrankRizzo and I spent last sunday drinking tequila and making fireballs, it was great..

Now, keep in mind these videos are an unedited compilation of 31 different video clips. The first clip is files 21-45, then 53-58. You can mostly hear what the hell I'm saying when I light the fuse.

For the record, we tried... Gilsonite, powdered sugar, corn starch, potato flakes (coffee milled), pancake mix, flour, potassium benzoate (milled), commercial airfloat, creamer (actually 50% MF gravy base), paulownia airfloat, kingsford airfloat. I'm probably even missing something here. Oh, a 50/50 mix of commercial airfloat and gravy base (with a teaspoon of 20 mesh charcoal thrown in).

We liked the commercial airfloat best, or mixed 50/50 with the gravy base. The gravy base enhanced version has a bit longer roll time to it. Gilsonite was good too, but the airfloat burned hotter, and more completely than anything else. Mixing it 50/50 with gravy base had the nice effect of causing the vast majority of the gravy base to actually burn.

Our setup:

HDPE class C mortar, cut down to 3" tall, side fused. Put in one level teaspoon of reasonably fast 4FA. Take a shopping bag, and cut a 12x12" piece out of it, push that down the mortar with a stick. Tape the edges of the bag around the mortar, and dump in 2 tablespoons of your finely divided combustible. Fuse, and light. Stand back. ;P

Click here to download this file