APC Forum

scales

KruseMissile

Im looking for a new scale and i wanted one that could weight up to around the 2000g range and to a .1g consistency. I found this one and wanted to know what you guys thought. Thanks

Brian

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMW-2000g-Digital-Benc...=item2c5234214a

Nice range... and if it's that accurate, buy it.

Consider buying calibration weights for it. All digital scales eventually go out a bit, and require recalibration... and each of them has a specific method to do it. I've collected a boat-load of calibration weights over the last few years, and recalibrate my better scales fairly often. Don't be surprised if the stupid calibration weight(s) cost a lot of money. The AC adapter is a nice item too, these things really seem to run through batteries quickly.

But overall it looks like an excellent scale.

Don't be surprised if the stupid calibration weight(s) cost a lot of money.

A good 5g weight is 5 cents. Yes..the American nickle is 5 grams on the dot ;{)

A good 5g weight is 5 cents. Yes..the American nickle is 5 grams on the dot ;{)

I remember that skylighter said something like "4 quarters is equal to like 25g" or something like that. I found another one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

But its white and will get really dirty. What do you guys think i should get? Expensive one or cheaper one?

I got mine from Walmart for $19.88, weights up to 5000g, in grams, Lbs, oz. large glass top(dont come off), .1g accuracy. can be AC powerd, or use's one button cell battery. its not a lighted screen. has a tare function, and dosent turn off after 30 seconds.

A Realy big scale like above(i think it can mesure over 15lbs) costs like $30-$40 at walmart

It works pretty good, but i use my 222 for small stuff.

i went with the cheaper one. I'll let you guys know how it works. I also found a A/C power plug from an old cellphone to use with it! Can't wait to not have to change batteries anymore.

Ok, I'm not trying to be funny but its one of the first post here in a long time.

An America one dollar bill weighs 1 gram.

But if you want a pretty good one with the calibration weight with it find a local head shop. If you don't know what that is ask your parents :P. I bought one from there hasn't broken yet. Paid about 25 dollars for it, its accurate and spent 3 dollars on the 100 gram calibration weight.

Just an idea, I'm not trying to get you in trouble.

Head shops are a little difficult to find here(at least near me) But when i was up in NH last year the guy had some great scales on sale, one free with every "tobbaco" pipe sold, or one for every $100 you spend on other goods(knifes ect) THe most expensive one there looked exacly like the one skylighter sells(the 15lb scale for like $70-80 i think) He was selling it for $60, and a free (full) set of calibration weights when you got 2 or more of that scale. At the time i wasent looking for scales, but it looks like it treck up to his shop come summer. I used to have his contact info for off-season order's, I'll try to find it and see if he has any deals, and i'll post them here if possable.

I recieved the scale today. It seems to be pretty cheaply made. The scale itself only weighs something like 1lb. Also the battery cover doesnt go on after you put the batteries in and it is off by .5g for every 28.5g. I would give the scale a 5 out of 10 so far. I first need to find a 1kg calibration weight.

I have to order a scale, All three of mine Died within days of each other. Good bye 2 333's, and my first scale the 222 modle.

I dont have luck with these things.

Also, the scale i use ATM has accuracy of about 1g, is this fine to use, or should I wait?

It depends on what size batches you're making, mostly. If you're making less than 100 gram batches, I'd wait, but it should still work alright anywhere from like 50-100, it seems in pyro getting the comp exactly right isn't a huge deal.

If you're making big batches, a 1g accuracy should serve you well.

Remember, the bigger the batch, the less important decimal place accuracy is.

If you think about it, if you don't know that you are .5 grams off (because your scale measures only to 1g accuracy) in 10 grams of a composition, that is 5% error. If you are .5 grams off in 100 grams, it's .5% off; 1000 grams, .05% off.

5% can be very significant, but I don't know any pyro composition where .05% error is important.

A reference calibration weight traceable to national standards with documentation will cost hundreds, However there is little need to weigh to that accuracy when making comps for most pyro uses. If you can avoid using the bottom quarter of the scale range then most kitchen scales should do all hobby pyro work well for as long as they live. Most electronic scales used by pyros die when filled with conductive charcoal powder or hygroscopic and corrosive salts from dust in the air. Trouble is that these little scales are referred in the vernacular as drug dealer scales and they do come in ranges that would suit the narcotic distributing industry.

Reminds me of the old saying, "buy cheap, buy twice", and in this case seems to be true if you do buy another scale. I have a harbour freight scale (20 dollars on sale) with 1g accuracy for larger comps, and several smaller with .01. In the model RC helicopter industry we all use scales to static balance our carbon fiber blades because of the vibrations it can cause. Just another use to mention other than the drug industry.

American pyrotechnics gives you a small electronic scale with every order of 75 dollars or more, I have 3 of them so far, lol. Still, a nice little incentive to purchase froom them.

I've had nothing but good experiences with that ebay seller that was posted. Very nice guy, and very quick shipping.

I hate to say it, but you get what you pay for. You wont get a nice scale with accurate resolution, all metal construction, and good calibration weights for $20.

BTW, those precision values are way off. They measure to +/- 1g, which means 20% uncertainty at 10g, 2% at 100g, and 0.2% at 1000g. Scales are usually better than that in actuality, but they are only rated to a certain level. You can at the very least never be more accurate than the smallest increment on a single measurement. If your scale showed 10g, the true value could be anywhere between 9.5 and 10.5g

I still use my Ohaus triple beam. Went from...well..you know... to pyro, and a good cleaning to meat cure/spice measurements. Talk about versatility! ;{)

Reminds me of the old saying, "buy cheap, buy twice", and in this case seems to be true if you do buy another scale. I have a harbour freight scale (20 dollars on sale) with 1g accuracy for larger comps, and several smaller with .01. In the model RC helicopter industry we all use scales to static balance our carbon fiber blades because of the vibrations it can cause. Just another use to mention other than the drug industry.

American pyrotechnics gives you a small electronic scale with every order of 75 dollars or more, I have 3 of them so far, lol. Still, a nice little incentive to purchase froom them.

I too have 3, but i need a scale with a bigger weighing platform and weighs up to something like 2kg. I bought a scale from harbor freight that weights up to 1kg but the weighing platform is like 2.5"x2.5", so its really tiny but good for small batches.

• 4 months later...

How many of you have bought a scale from Dealextreme.com?

I have a couple of the sku 1165- 1000g scales that I just love. Every time I have someone over to make pyro, they end up taking one home with them.

How many of you have bought a scale from Dealextreme.com?

I have a couple of the sku 1165- 1000g scales that I just love. Every time I have someone over to make pyro, they end up taking one home with them.

I got this one...

http://www.oldwillkn...lance-2600.aspx

It's so awsome. With my old scales, when i would add a weight like .05 grams at a time, it wouldn't read it and I would end up with too much of the chemical(not much, but at the time I was short on them). But with this one, it reads absolutely perfect. I also picked up the 2kg calibration weight with it. Oh, and the weighing platform is huge.

Edited by KruseMissile

I got this one...

http://www.oldwillkn...lance-2600.aspx

It's so awsome. With my old scales, when i would add a weight like .05 grams at a time, it wouldn't read it and I would end up with too much of the chemical(not much, but at the time I was short on them). But with this one, it reads absolutely perfect. I also picked up the 2kg calibration weight with it. Oh, and the weighing platform is huge.

Its a great scale, I have the same one, different model. My Weigh 3001P