APC Forum

Can't use the search feature

Ventsi

When ever I try to view someone's posts or topics posted, it tells me I have to wait 30 seconds. I wait a minute or so and try again, still nada. This also happens to me when I try to use the advanced search feature.

Its getting a bit annoying, I'm using Chrome if that tells you anything?

Edit: Can you fix the title to Can't too? That one slipped from me.

Edited by Mumbles

That's odd. As a moderator I just drop the menu that appears when I hover over your name and click, then choose "Find Member's Topics" or "Find Member's Posts" and it comes right up.

How are you trying to do a Search exactly?

And now, with my test user, it worked perfectly too.

Hmmm....

OK, yes there's a 30-second search flood control.

So make sure you click your menu choice just once, then be patient and wait for the results.

Works fine for me now, although I was having a simaler problem the other day.

I was trying to use the search and that messege would pop up, even though I hadn't used the search since the day before.

Oh well, it works now.

That's odd. As a moderator I just drop the menu that appears when I hover over your name and click, then choose "Find Member's Topics" or "Find Member's Posts" and it comes right up.

Yeah, I've tried that, just tried it again but still. I haven't looked at anyone' posts kin days but the 30sec message still comes up. I've tried going to users profiles as well and trying from there but it still doesn't work.

Do you think you know whats going on? I wouldn't mind letting you log in on my account either.

Sidewinder. I turned search throttling off for us a long time ago, which is why you can search to your heart's content without an issue. It speeds up the HE access requests considerably not having to wait for that 30 second window. So instead of taking a week it'd take 3 :)

I just logged into my test user account too. I was able to activate the flood control. I opened the clock on my computer, and waited about 40 seconds, and was able to search again. I would have done 30, but I got distracted by something on TV.

I figured it out. Its Chrome!

Everything works fine in IE8 and FireFox. Damn!

Ah, ok.

Well, that's not the first report of problems I've heard about Chrome in general.

We're still working on getting Chrome fully compatible with IP.Board, along with a few nagging problems that IE7 has. IE6 has been made as functional as we can get it, but it does have some issues we can't do anything about.

By the time we release IPB 3.1.0 (which should be in the next few weeks??) we HOPE to have all the biggest bugs worked out.

I use chrome and have had no problems. I have had the same screen, but all I did was refresh the page and "viola!" Problem fixed!

Ah, I should have said this before....

Ventsi, visit the main page and press CTRL-F5. See if that solves the problem.

• 1 month later...

My response to this is only somewhat relevant:

Is it possible to, when using the search feature, jump to the first page with the words that were searched for? Often I'll search for something, and the answer I want is in a thread like the Random Thread, and I'm really not interested in weeding through 300 pages of irrelevant posts...

Thanks

When you use search, and the results come back, especially for a common word, you should see up to 8 pages (200 results, fixed limit) of results.

Each entry title that's clickable DOES jump right to the post number that the word occurs within.

If the thread has 30 occurrences of the word, there will 30 entries with identical titles, but the words immediately below the title are a clue as to the content. They contain.... ~1.5 lines of the post, and *should* surround the word itself. (I see most occurrences are also highlighted in Yellow, but not all of them. I'll see if I can figure why not.)

And the first entry in the main page list is the most recent occurrence of the word.

I just tested it with the word 'aluminum' and got back 8 pages of results. About halfway down the page is an entry that says "Random Thread #1". When I clicked that string, it went right to reply #6084, on page #305 of the thread, which is the most recent use of the word IN that thread.

What's not working?

Well I feel like an idiot... Thank you, it's working just as you said it was. Has it always worked like that? I remember from before apc went down it really bothered me how that didn't work.

You used to have to select "display as posts" instead of "display as topics" in order to get the relavant post instead of thread in general.

Oh wow... I wish i knew that. It would have saved me countless hours :P