APC Forum

Web Hosting Services for Photography?

lucast123

I am in the process of trying to get my photography business online. I am a complete novice at working with setting up websites. I can be creative if I have templates to work with. I have been doing some research on sites. However, the deeper I get into researching them, the more difficult they seem.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions as to the fastest, easiest way to get a site up?

I can use all the help I can get by way of suggestions.

Look up Blue Voda. They have a great easy to use website builder you can download for free. Blue Voda has a server of their own that could host your site, but from what I hear it's very crappy. They built the program and put some minor roadblocks into place so it couldn't be used with other servers, but they're easy to work around. I can help you out if you go that route.

If you look in the signature of Sidewinder, one of the administrators here you'll see he has some connections with a hosting company. I'm sure he would appreciate the business.

One of the reasons it's so confusing choosing a host is because anyone can be one for a few hundred bucks. Therefore a lot of people set up servers just as a hope for some income on the side. Because of the variety of people out there hosting websites it's best if you can find one recommended by others.

I myself use a host that's worked out well for me for the last 8 months or so and would be glad to set you up there if you don't use Sidewinders service for whatever reason. (By the way, the only reason I do not use him as a host is because I did not know about it until I had already worked a deal out with my current host.)

I created a hobby web site years ago, using only the crudest tools, and I have been complimented on the generally nice layout and ease of navigation. It is very simple, based upon tables, does not use frames or any advanced methods, and requires only a simple WYSIWYG editor like Frontpage Express, and the buttons were created with a little app called 3dWebButton.

I would keep things clean and simple... just enough jazz to take it above a family Geocities photo album, but nothing like some of the complex sites we see these days. Otherwise, you'll spend more time on the site than on your photography.

For photos, you'll definitely want thumbnails. I suspect you have excellent photo software for this already, but if not, look for an app called "Easy Thumbnails" which I really like, and used for the site.

http://www.5bears.com/index.htm

Here is a quick subset of the site that uses thumbnails, 3d web buttons, and frontpage express, that is typical of the site as a while:

http://www.5bears.com/cnc.htm

Edited by Swede

• 3 weeks later...