APC Forum

Thermite Testing Results

lacrima97

I have really been amazed by thermite's outstanding properties for quite some time, and decided to do a test in order to see which mixture had the best metal melting properties. I wanted to know which was the best of these standard thermite compositions? Iron III Oxide (red), or Iron II,III Oxide (magnetite).

I did a test of three compositions. Since stiochiometrically (sp), both the magnetite and red thermite compositions are very close to 1 Al: 3 Oxide, I just used the 1:3 ratio for all three tests. Each test contained 40g of thermite, with 7g of Mg/NaNO3 initiating fire.

(Yes, the -325 mesh Al isn't good for thermite compositions because it doesn't allow for the reaction to take place in a long enough time span, I know. This was just to see the heat generated for each oxide specifically in a short amount of time.)

In the first pile was a mixture of 1 Al -325 mesh : 3 Iron III Oxide (red). In the second pile was a mixture of 1 Al -325 mesh : 3 Iron II,III Oxide (magnetite). In the third pile was a mix of 1 Al (very very coarse large shards, chips) : 3 Iron III Oxide.

In my opinion, the magnetite Iron Oxide Is by far superior due to two holes left by it, as opposed to 0 left by the Red Iron Oxide. Also, the Al chip, is also superior, since it left four holes, as opposed to the 325 Al/Red Iron Oxide leaving 0 holes.

All in all, I have learned that magnetite Iron Oxide with Aluminum chips is the most effective thermite (of those tested), considering that when mixed, they will have the same outcome as seen in my tests.

post-4-1152273970_thumb.jpg

FYI, black Iron oxide isn't Fe (II,III) Oxide. It is simply Fe(II) Oxide. Fe (II,III) Oxide is magenite, which is structurally and chemically different than the other two oxides. Magenite and FeO are indeed both black, but black iron oxide is FeO. I assume you purchased it from a ceramic supplier, in which case you have FeO. Magenite is also available, but not as black iron oxide.

Sorry, but my Iron (II,III) Oxide which is Fe3O4 is black, so I just called it black iron oxide so I wouldnt have to write it out everytime. I will change my statings of "black" to "magnetite".

And its magnetite, not magenite. :D :P