APC Forum

Ascending aerial shell effects

ADP9

Being somewhat new to pyrotechics, how is the comet tail effect as the shell travels high in the air achieved? I mean how is the shell contructed so that it trails like that?

The tail is caused by the fuse burning from the shell. Fuse There is an example of where the fuse is. The shell shoots up in the air from the lift but also ignites the fuse and that is what you see.

Err... a shell with a rising tail, or comet, has a pressed shape of comp formula glued to the outside of the shell. The lift charge blowby will ignite it damn near every time, but many fuse it directly in some manner. It burns as the shell ascends. There's a lot of info on shell comets here as well as elsewhere.

M

I believe I understand. So in some cases the fuse type itself emits the stream but also composition can be pressed and glued to the bottom of the shell? It must be at such a temperature so that it doesn't burn through the bottom. I'm sure it has a medium burn rate to accomodate the assent? Thanks for the info

In most cases it is probably the fuse that you see but in others people actually have a comet attached to the shell on the bottom or top like what sidewinder said.

How would it look on the bottom? I don't imagine anyone has pictures. The idea just seems pretty cool to me. I like the trail effect.

I split this from the competition section as it didn't really belong there.

Anyway, here are two ways to do it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/Mumbles/PalmTree2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/Mumbles/P1010046.jpg

The 4" ball shell has a comet attached to it. It was molded to the shape of the shell and hot glued on. The leader runs directly over it with a split to shoot fire upon the comet to light it.

For some extra strength wrap a few turns of duct tape around the comet with about 1/2" extending off the bottom leaving the top exposed, and use a pair of scissors or a razor blade to cut 4 vertical slits in the part extending off. Then separate them and attatch them to the shell with hot glue on the bottom part.

If this doesn't make sense to someone I can post a picture.

EDIT. This was discussed in the Aerial shells thread somewhat in detail, I can't find the pages though.

Thanks for spliting into a new topic mumbles, I like the pictures too.