APC Forum

HCE smoke

lacrima97

I tested out this comp yesterday.

Hexachloroethane 45

Zinc Oxide 45

Aluminum 10

I used a "mixed on site" composition of magnesium/NaNO3 to initiate the reaction. It takes quite a bit of heat to start off. Anyway, I did this, and really to tell the truth, It wasnt that much better than the candy smoke mixtures. I was reading a comp from shimizu earlier, and he gives a composition of:

Hexachloroethane 52

Zinc Oxide 27

Zinc 21

Do you guys think that it would be worth the effort to try shimizu's comp? He gave a rather detailed analysis, and I figure I will test it out. I Just really love my zinc powder, I think its my favorite chem. Do you think that the first smoke wasn't overly unimpressive becuase of error on my part?, or is it just the composition. I'll try the second tomorrow and see I suppose.

HCE smokes are supposed to be very thick and good smokes. IIRC HCE is used in several military smoke devices. Never hurts to make a small 10g batch or so of the zinc metal fueled stuff.

Yeah, I will have to wait until tomorrow sadly. I can't wip out the hexachloroethane in my room.

The smoke was extremely thick, but it just went straight up, it didn't linger on the ground or anything.

Hexachloroethane 52

Zinc Oxide 27

Zinc 21

Well, I tried this comp on the fourth, and it was pretty nice. I used a kalium nitrate, sperical Al, and sulfur initiating agent, and it started up nicely.

Anyway, when this stuff was burning, it had a very whispy look to it, and very thick. I have come to the conclusion that these things are better used indoors. They dissapate so quickly that there is no real time for a good effect to kick in. Same with kalium nitrate, sugar smoke.

Pretty nice to sum it up though.

They are also best used in humid environments. The ZnCl2 formed is rather hydroscopic. It is more opaque when it is hydrated.

Anyone got forumulas for coloured smokes? I found HCE for a high price ($71 for 1 kilogram), but there is an aluminium smelter in my state (HCE is used to get rid of air bubbles in Al melts) so I will see if I can get some of them. Coloured smoke would be great for paintball and airsoft (all home made ones as my state is ruled by pussies).

There are many smoke compositions on the PFP database. BTW, this HCE is hardly worth $71/kg. I wouldn't pay more than 10-15/lb for it.

I figured it wasn't worth that, that was the price from a lab supply so no wonder it is so much. I looked on the Passfire database but couldnt find any, so I will look on the PFP.

Hexachloroethane 52

Zinc Oxide 27

Zinc 21

I have come to the conclusion that these things are better used indoors. They dissapate so quickly that there is no real time for a good effect to kick in. .

DO NOT use this indoors. The military has had fatality cases with using HC smoke in inclosures. Granted the ppm from a full size grenade is probably greater than anything you or I will make, but why risk it? Oh yeah, here's a quick vid of HC Smoke: http://media.putfile.com/HCL-Smoke-Slow

Haha, hell no I'm not doing it indoors, thats just the only thing I could think of to make it not dissapate so quickly. I'm gonna go make a vid of the stuff as well as you did to compare.

When I feel like handling HCE that is.

Apparently the ZnCl formed is very hazardous and they are now using oxides of Ti instead.

Yeah, I will have to wait until tomorrow sadly. I can't wip out the hexachloroethane in my room.

The smoke was extremely thick, but it just went straight up, it didn't linger on the ground or anything.

couldn't you like put the comp in a can or something with a lid of some sort to disperse the smoke. Maybe like a can with a raised cone shaped lid on top (Raised slighly above can to allow circulation) but wouldnt that keep it lingering more?

I've used different containers for it, but the bottom line is the smoke generated is less dense that the surrounding air.

I have been thinking something though. Maybe if somehow, I can get the smoke to pass through water on the way out of a tube or something, that maybe the ZnCl2 would end up absorbing some of the water making the smoke thicker.