APC Forum

Electrical Ignition System

lacrima97

I have spent several hours making this, but I feel it was worth my time. I like the little switch so that there is no accidental ignition. When the switch goes on, the light comes on as well, assuring you that the device is active.

The first pic is the device:

At Rest

Second:

Active

Third:

Different angle

Fourth:

Ignition, you can see the glowing wire.

post-10-1151461723_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll post pics of mine soon as well. I plan on using 9VDC through some NiCrome wire if I can find mine... hopefully it will get hot enough to ignite BP.

Hey D, you got any idea about a device or anything?, or just a simple touch the wires to the battery.

Well I'm thinking that I will need some good amperage and for that I could only use a large battery like car or boat. I'm thinking some speaker wire with nicrome at the end and a little roll of paper to keep the leads divided. A battery will turn it red hot intantly and ignite the BP, FP, device, etc.

Here is my det box:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9761/1000678tq1.jpg

I've got one you'd all be impressed by, I'll post pics soon via editing this post... It's built into a suit case with a safety switch, and an arming switch which both have to be turned on before any shells can be fire. I have 4 separate switches and connections to fire either 4 shells at once or 4 shells in sequence. I'm running it with an 18v Deep cell motorcycle battery. Took me about 4 hours to make and it'll fire shells for a week constant before needing to be recharged using twist tie igniters. :D

That does sound impressive and would love to see. Also describe these ignitors, I need some ideas for some. Show me a pic if you can. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I shall soon be constructing some nichrome ignitors hopefully if i can find my nichrome wire. I need some easy electrical ignition stuff.

Good and reliable igniters can be made without NiCr wire:

http://www.geocities.com/brainfevert/ematch.html

This kind of cable should be available to you wherever you live. I suggest stripping as little of it as possible otherwise the NC-graphite won't adhere as well.

Even without the final pyrogen dipping, it'ss set off any normal fuse lit composition.

A 9V battery will ignite it with very short pieces of cable (less then 1m) 12V is needed for lengths up to 5m (depending on conductor diameter) and 24V will get you set from 5 to ~50 meters.

If you have trouble with the currents required, use a capacitator to provide peak currents.

Here can you find the setup I use.