APC Forum

Reeper Silver

Rooster

Blindreeper:

I know most people know of this already but its going in here anyway!

Name: Reeper Silver

Effect: Streamer

Creator: blindreeper

Colour/Effect: Long thick silver tails

The Comp:

Meal Powder - 85

-325 mesh spherical Aluminium - 10

Dextrin - 5

Or if you don't like making the meal powder first...this is the same comp.

Potassium Nitrate - 64

Sulfur - 8.5

Charcoal (I used pine) - 12

-325 mesh spherical Aluminium - 10

Dextrin - 5

Should be compatable with most things apart from chlorate stars. I wouldn't advise rolling onto chlorate or perchlorate cores as of the sulfur present in this mix. Use a relay comp if you must.

I have made cut stars with easy, no sign of heating up. Very easy to make cut stars. Needs only a light BP prime. Never tried pumping them or pressing them no rolling. I am fairly confindent this comp will roll well. Does burn fairly fast though so that may be a downside. It is realativly "normal" weight for a star not containing any heavy metals such as zinc.

The stars used in a 2inch canister shell:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

plinker:

Is spherical aluminium the same thing as atomized aluminium?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

Yes

++++++++++++++++++++++

mehabel:

sorry for my ignorance but what is the difference between "325 mesh" and "-325 mesh "

I mean what is the minus stands for

++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

325 mesh means all of the particles that land on a 325 mesh screen but don't go through, this means they are probably between 250-325mesh depending on what the previous screen size was. -325mesh means that this is all the particles that passed through the 325mesh screen but landed on the next one down. Depending on the manufacturer the margin of particle size could vary greatly. This is why they say no two barrel of aluminium are the same.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I tried this star with a slight variation. With the same ratio, I substituted meal powder with pulverized Pyrodex and used dark pyro aluminum. It burned bright white rather than the nice silver seen in blindreeper’s shell. This is probably due to the higher mesh aluminum I used.

Single cut star shot from star gun…

http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v38/vepr762/white_al_pyrodex.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

rooster:

"-325mesh means that this is all the particles that passed through the 325mesh screen but landed on the next one down."

The particles did not necessarily land on the next (screen)one down. They justhave to pass that sieve size., which means the -x variety(for example -325mesh) mesh sizes can contain a maximum particle size of 325mesh(or some number of microns, not gonna look it up). There is no lower limit of the particle sizes.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

Lets get all technical now But I was right with the part about them passing the 325 mesh screen, however, I doubt them would let things in from the 600 mesh range, thats why I assumed the next screen down.

Hellworm:

What kind of camera do you use, blindreeper? I wish i could make pics like that of my fireworks. The digital camera I have takes high quality pictures, but it takes areound a 2 second delay for each click.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Somebody:

Hellworm, That are frames from a video, not pics.

You cant take pics so fast, atleast not with most cameras .

But it was a good quality video.

Hellworm:

My point, I am asking what kind of camera he has, video or otherwise. I have a digital camcorder, but the quality is lower than the above used camera.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

That one was taken on a Cannon Digital IXUS V2 2.0 MP

Thats the person who boards with us's camera, it has sound w00t! But my other one my family has is a kodak but doesn't have sound with the movies so thats a bummer.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ropyro:

Blindreeper, what was the size of the stars you used in that shell?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

They were 1cm cubes made by cutting and they were primed with a light BP coat of about 1mm.

madn3ss.c0mbat:

are you sure that substituting KNO3, sulfur, and charcoal will be the same as using meal powder??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

Hello 64, 12, 8.5 is a 75/15/10 ratio It is meal powder. That was officially the stupidest thing I heard today.

optimus:

75/15/10 is not meal powder until it has been milled.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.... surely just mixing them together roughly would give a different effect to using pre-milled meal?

madn3ss.c0mbat:

Until you understand the question, it'd be nice to ask before you turned on the bitch switch. Yes, I did mean if it would be different, Because crushing it up with other chemicals is going to be FAR different than milling it like normal meal powder. Optimus, thanks for clearing that one up.

Blindreeper:

It is assumed you would mill components together because it is only KNO3, C and S but whatever.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dragonman586:

Question will indian blackhead aluminum (~600 mesh) work?

pyrohawk:

It will create a white, probably even brighter than the originals.... But it will burn much faster than these and the effect would be most likely diminished by this. You could try perhaps using a slower burning comp. instead of Meal.... I once made some comets using TT formula as the base ingredient with 600mesh Al... They worked decently so if you want to try and use the 600 mesh I would recomend using a slower burning comp.!!

While I'm here anyhow here is a photo of a Reeper Silver mine I did a few days ago.....although it doesn't have the silver I expected... More of a whitish yellow, could be the camera though they were actually quite nice in life!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/pyrohawk_15/rmine.bmp

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blindreeper:

The stars can be rolled if you desire. However they are very fragile when they are first drying and take a while.

• 2 years later...

Wondering -

Ramming this comp for comets?

Granulating the wet comp before putting in sleeve worries me?

-Joe

I have never had any problem ramming comets out of a bp/metal flitter mixture such as reeper silver. Of course it is assumed that you are using a rubber mallet and non sparking wodden or brass dowel. I used to wet them and then ramm them for comets or ramm it dry with a little extra metal for a nice fountain mixture. For wetting it I would add a small percent of boric acid to avoid the KNO3/aluminum reaction. also i never granulated the comp for comets I would just mix/grind it properly then moisten as if to make stars and then ram it tightly into the sleeve