APC Forum

Hg Extraction

kwstag

I will try to do so tomorrow. It's from those spiral looking ones, I will take a picture later. I don't think this is illegal but if it is I will do it anyway because I enjoy chemistry related things.

Anyway after looking at the "lamp", (it's more of a lightbulb energy saver type) I had noticed it said Hg on the middle approximately. I then read the back of the package and noticed it said: CAUTION - Hg, LAMP CONTAINS MERCURY.

So tomorrow I will take a couple and disect them and see how much Hg is available from each bulb. They are rather heavy for lightbulbs so that could possibly mean theres a little bit of Hg, a useful amount.

This can also be a failed extraction but I have hope that it will be a successfull one.

Pics / Info tomorrow when I begin.

Thanks,

kwstag

Flourescant(sp?) light bulbs (the double helix ones) container mercury vapor, so I don't think you will get very much, if you can extract any.

Yeah like he said. Those are mercury vapor lamps. They don't have a liquid mercury inside them. You'd have to 'open' it in a sealed chamber so that the mercury vapor would condense in it.

I've not heard of anyone attempting to capture the vapor out of one of those bulds with any success. Due to the fact they are either pressurized or vac-packed with the vapor. Perhaps you could distill enough out of several bulbs by opening them under the surface of iso-alcohol in a vat but still- You'd have to be absolutely sure about protecting yourself from mercury exposure especially in repeated instances where you might be trying to concentrate your yield.

Get a big long PVC pipe. Build a condensor jacket around it. Insert fluorescent bulbs, with a single turn of nichrome around them. Seal the PVC pip off, start water flowing through the condensor jacket, apply current to the nichrome, it should crack open the bulbs. Wait for Hg to condense and open up and drain it off.

I like Dr. Boom's idea about opening them under a liquid. The problem is that the liquid would go everywhere due to the sudden displacement. Unless you have the kind of bulb that has the small peice of glass inside the large peice of glass.

Rogue Chemist's idea is a little elaborate. You would not need to cool the mercury vapor as it boils at 327C or something like that. Even a couple hundred kPa under 760 and it would liquidfy under room temp.

Isn't todays thermometers made with red colored alcohol or something like that insted of the mercury (safety reasons?)? Not sure but you could still probably find older thermometers with mercury in them.

You can still get mercury thermometers, probably just not in your school. They still have to be used for higher temp thermometers. I believe the red, green, and blue liquid ones can only go to 110C with some going to 150C max. Mercury can go to 300 or so I think.

actualy i was talking about the medical thermometers.

in my country there is no problem getting those. i believe there will b no problems geting them in the US also

I think hes more interested in actually extracting the mercury from the lights. But for a source of mercury you can get thermometers like mumbles was talking, but frankly those thermometers are more useful than the mercury inside. You can buy elemental mercury online, you just have to look for it.

Some door bells have mecury switches in them. I mean quite old door bells. Oh and a very old one handed joystick. I found one of the switches and kept it safe for ages, then one day I dropped it, the glass broke and the mecury went everywhere. I wouldnt like to touch the stuff its pretty toxic. It gets in through the skin and softens bones.

I have about 10g of Hg I got from tilt switches availiable at Dick Smith.

Another source would be themostats. The analog ones have 2 switches inside them. That's around 10-15g, as I would say they are around .5mL a piece.

Agreed with Mumbles about the thermostats.

I have 100mls (3lbs) of Hg that I bought over the web for a very reasonable price, for the volume. It is hardly effecient to find 200 thermostats and then dissemble them.

The toxicity of Hg seems to be blown out of proportion by the media and such. It will not be readily absorbed through skin due to surface tension. When swallowed it goes right through you, literally. Only 1% is absorbed, the rest.... yeah. Inhalation of vapors is the only rational concern. Even this isn't too extreme, due to the liquid properties of Hg and it is therefor not going to evaporate at an appreciable rate.

Worst case scenario: atomised Hg in a closed enviroment evaporates and you are poisoned.

Sound reasonable?

Yeah, I'm with swany on that one. Heh, were you a tad surprised the first time you picked up that bottle of mercury?