APC Forum

Blue Rocket Propellant modification

Rooster

optimus:

Please god, Don't let me delete this a third time Goddamn preview button

Name of composition: Blue strobe rocket propellant

Composition Type: Propellant or star

Creator: Unknown (anyone know?)

Color/Effect: Propellant: Blue, strobing, farting, chirping rocket.

Star: Deep blue, self-propelled star, with red tinges at edges of almond shaped flame envelope.

The Composition: (All parts by weight!)

Orininal formula:

Ammonium perchlorate...............63

Silicone II.......................................22

Copper(II)oxide.................. ...........10

PVC.................................................5

Mo dification 1:

Copper(II)oxide.................. ...........6

Strontium Carbonate.........................4

PVC...................................... ...........5

Modification 2:

Copper(II)oxide.................. ...........3.7

Strontium Carbonate.........................6.3

Chlorowax.............................. .....5.3

Any Precautions/Incompatabilities: Formula contains NH4Cl04, so incompatible with Nitrates, Magnesium, etc. The way it is bound should provide some protection, but I'm not sure about this. Cured stars are waterproof, so any blind blowers will remain live for a long while. Composition takes fire VERY easily, even in it's uncured state.

Procedure/Preparation:

I've heard of using a zip-lock to mix this, but here's my method.

Find some Silicone - the stuff that dries translucent, and smells of Ammonia, not vinegar.

Weigh out Silicone into suitable container (I used small tupperware)

Add all other ingredients except the AP, and stir until a uniform, horrible sticky consistency is reached.

Add the AP, and continue stirring until it forms a conglomerate mass, taking up the material from the sides of the container. At this stage, the composition can be pressed/rolled flat to make cut stars, or pressed into whatever container you want. After curing (24 hours I think) the composition is flexible and can be cut up like this:

I used some of these micro-stars in a 3/4" BP fountain:

http://creeper.250free.com/silicone/blue_fountain.MPG

My first attempt at modification didn't work very well. It's here on the right - less saturated and not a good purple.

I will need some proper tooling to make rockets out of this, but I couldn't resist making a simple "motor" I cut an inch long, thin piece of composition, and rolled it up in kraft, making a simple motor, open at both ends. Turn up the sound for this

http://creeper.250free.com/silicone/blue_static.MPG

G round tests of the second modified formula are proving VERY promising . I'll get some footage, and post it tonight.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

May I ask what the point of the modulation was? You were trying to get a purple right? Did you test the original formula any chance and have pics or vid of that?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

optimus:

"May I ask what the point of the modulation was? You were trying to get a purple right? Did you test the original formula any chance and have pics or vid of that?"

Yeah, I didn't make that very clear.... The blue on the left in the picture is the original, and the micro-stars in the fountain are also the original formula. I've been trying to get a decent purple for ages - the 3rd modification is definately the best yet - will try to get some footage of it up soon.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Frkonaleash1010:

Nice I loved that blue and am ecstatic to hear that was the original formula as I have no idea wtf chlorowax is and have or will be getting all the chems except for the AP which I can just get in my next order.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++