APC Forum

Help with Acetone

xxMIKExx

I have looked everywhere and cannot find a way to extract acetone out of nail polish remover. I want to make nitrocellulose lacquer http://www.sparksrocketry.com/igniters.htm with it. I would like to extract it because nail polish remover is avalible to me (I have 2 sisters) and I cant go to the hardware store and pick up some potentially dangerous chemicals without my parents becomeing suspicious. :P

Finally, is it possible to use nail polish remover as is with all the impurities because it is mostly acetone.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

What do you think? I think you could have searched.

If acetone is in the ingrediants in appreciable ammounts it should work, if you don't know the ammounts do a search on the brand and product to find a MSDS (material safety data sheet). Perhaps search the other ingrediants and see if NC is soluble in them as well.

If your a newbie, you need to post in the right section.

Though it really isn't my place to say so. :mellow:

Do you have a distillation kit? You will need to find the actual formula for the nail polish remover, because it may be possible that other volatiles are present near the same b.p. as the acetone.

i searched!!! and acetone extracting isn't that chemistry?

and no distillation kit. yes i forgot to look up the MSDS thanks for the tips.

See without the actual ingredients in the remover, you are out of luck man.

Normal nail polish remover is ~65-70% acetone, with the remainder being soapy surfactants. You can determine if this extra crap will cause problems by evaporating a small volume in a shallow dish and observing the residue left after the acetone evaporates. If the acetone and extra crap evaporates away cleanly, you should have no problems.

Some non-acetone nail polish removers contain ethyl acetate and denatured alcohol (check the ingredients). That will work for dissolving NC as well, and will have the advantage of more working time before the lacquer dries.

Mike, another bull topic by you is not helping things. Post in the random thread for stuff like this. And you cannot fine acetone anywhere? Please... If you cannot buy it, Go to a friends house, most likey someone will have it. Don't start using impure stuff.

Don't open anymore new threads...

Frankly this is just silly, if you cant hide some acetone from your parents, how the hell are you gonna hide an NC synth?

/AV/

It's not that i can't hide it it's that i can't buy it. I don't drive yet so there is a problem getting to the store and when I'm at the store are they really going to sell a 15 year old potentially dangerous chemicals.

It's not that i can't hide it it's that i can't buy it. I don't drive yet so there is a problem getting to the store and when I'm at the store are they really going to sell a 15 year old potentially dangerous chemicals.

Ask your parents to buy it for you? Buy a can of nitrocellulose dope?

If your with your parents who do they think will be using it, you, or your parents? Your parents duh, gain the support of your parents, it makes things alot easyer.

I am 15, and the other day I walked into the hardware store, bought a gallon of H2SO4, a gallon of HCl, a pound of NaOH, and some acetone to boot. Get parental support, and learn chemistry.

Hope it all works out! You can find acetone, if you look hard enough.