APC Forum

Building a Magazine.

Ventsi

Well I have put myself up to the task of building a magazine that I can haul around to shoot sites and such. A proper magazine that complies with laws if you may.

So far I'm thinking 1/8" aluminum lined with 3/4" -1" wood on the inside. I was going to use Diamond Al. sheet but the stuff is crazy expensive.

I'm not going to go into all the details unless you guys want them , but any tips would be appreciated.

Anyone here have a mag? An indoor/transportable type?

Hell yes!!

Grab one of these off of Craigslist, its called a job box, I have converted two of them into type 4 mags and the one that was applied for got it's approval from the ATF.

I see one up here in the nort that is going for $150.00, you just need to GLUE 1/4" plywood into the box to cover ALL exposed surfaces, no metal showing!!

I like to grind the legs off, tip it up on it's side, weld the legs back on the side (now the bottom) so that the door will open like a door and bolt it to the floor.

If you are to carry it with you, leave the legs as they are and add large casters so you can wheel it up into the truck. Strap it down when transporting (remove the wheels).

The locks are available at Home depot, around $30.00 each, you need two. I am thinking about picking another up and converting it this winter. I sell them for $500.00, you pay for dock to dock or pick it up. Paint is from a piss-can so if beauty is your goal, get Macco to shoot it for $50.00.

D

post-9798-1261426042_thumb.jpg

Edited by dagabu

Hell yes!!

Grab one of these off of Craigslist, its called a job box, I have converted two of them into type 4 mags and the one that was applied for got it's approval from the ATF.

I see one up here in the nort that is going for $150.00, you just need to GLUE 1/4" plywood into the box to cover ALL exposed surfaces, no metal showing!!

I like to grind the legs off, tip it up on it's side, weld the legs back on the side (now the bottom) so that the door will open like a door and bolt it to the floor.

If you are to carry it with you, leave the legs as they are and add large casters so you can wheel it up into the truck. Strap it down when transporting (remove the wheels).

The locks are available at Home depot, around $30.00 each, you need two. I am thinking about picking another up and converting it this winter. I sell them for $500.00, you pay for dock to dock or pick it up. Paint is from a piss-can so if beauty is your goal, get Macco to shoot it for $50.00.

D

Dave, you're thinking too big. My plan was to make something 12x12x24 or around that size. No more than 40-50 lbs when empty. True, a friend of a friend of mine uses one of those job site boxes lined with plywood to transport his close proxy pyro stuff for concerts and such. And from what I've heard they work very well.

Mine is going to be something fairly tiny when compared to what you guys are using, but I don't want to cut back on anything.

Does law state that they have to have two locks? It seems for my size that be overkill.

I'm working on some 3D blueprints that I'll post if I ever get them done.

Dave, you're thinking too big. My plan was to make something 12x12x24 or around that size. No more than 40-50 lbs when empty. True, a friend of a friend of mine uses one of those job site boxes lined with plywood to transport his close proxy pyro stuff for concerts and such. And from what I've heard they work very well.

Mine is going to be something fairly tiny when compared to what you guys are using, but I don't want to cut back on anything.

Does law state that they have to have two locks? It seems for my size that be overkill.

I'm working on some 3D blueprints that I'll post if I ever get them done.

Good question, day box huh? Back to the orange book I suppose...

D

Search http://www.vanvault.co.uk for interesting things then look out for them in the USA, I'm sure that you will find them!

HOWEVER be sensible about the amount that you will carry, a decent pro show is a van full not a day box full, a good prox show is a shoe box full not a day box.

Be very sure that your box and system of operation is totally compliant with all the regs in all the areas for which you are licensed or planning to work. Run it past your insurers too!

Ohh no guys , I'm not doing anything in the commercial field. This magazine is not for legality issues since I'm already not complying with a number of laws. :ph34r: Just solely so I can store my devices and materials, have a peace of mind and be able to bring the "box" of fireworks to wherever I'm planning on shooting/testing.

This mag. is for my own safety issues, and I wanted to comply with most of the orange book specs., since they are there for a reason.

I'm just a small time hobbyist, and until I at least get my own place, I doubt that will change at all.

I use a WWII Explosives box my Dad gave me(from his dad) I use it for holding stuff, a day box kinda, its 12in long, 6in wide, and 8in deep with a lid, it has a large latch, that can accomidate two locks, it was made to take one hell of a beating.

You have to make a choice. Do you want it to be safe and effective, or do you want a real magazine and to "complies with laws"?

You have to make a choice. Do you want it to be safe and effective, or do you want a real magazine and to "complies with laws"?

I agree, if you are going ninja, use whatever you have laying around, it will attract a lot less attention then a carefully made box that looks like it holds something important... and maybe valuable.

A large premade toolbox would be fine, comes with a handle and will be fine for a ready box. If you want to comply with the law, you need to follow the orange book and get a license. Cant transport without it no matter what.

D

What does the indoor mag the ATF requires look like?

Its not so much what it looks like as much as it is the requirements it must meet. Google "Job Box", you will get a picture of a 2x4x3' steel box with a hinged lid. If you find the one with two rectangle holes in the face, that's the one that meets AFT requirements as long as it is COMPLETELY lined with wood and is bolted to the floor. You also need to buy two locks with 3/8" shackles and a 6 pin tumbler.

If you light off your stash inside this box, it will blow up and send shrapnel all over the neighborhood. That is not the purpose of ANY magazine. Theft deterrence and resistance is the key to an acceptable mag.

Ready boxes, day boxes, type 2 mags are all different animals all together.

*I am not a qualified builder nor am I to be held liable in the case of someone not reading the Orange Book and building a mag to my specifications.

D

Edited by dagabu

Yeah, I'm trying to go with safe and effective, trust me I DO care about the laws but right now its not an option. In a few years, yes, I'll have to get my own place first and then start getting licensed ,etc. etc.

Dagabu, thats what I'm going for, a box that looks fairly innocent , but is built to take a blast.

Do you guys care to explain what exactly "ready box" and "day box" means?

Yeah, I'm trying to go with safe and effective, trust me I DO care about the laws but right now its not an option. In a few years, yes, I'll have to get my own place first and then start getting licensed ,etc. etc.

Dagabu, thats what I'm going for, a box that looks fairly innocent , but is built to take a blast.

Do you guys care to explain what exactly "ready box" and "day box" means?

Hmmmm, I think you misunderstood me. NO magazine is made to contain a blast, none. Bullet proof, yes, theft proof, yes, fire proof, yes, explosion proof, NO!

Try plywood, 1" thick (2-1/2" pieces work as well) to build your box, no metal at all, metal = missile.

Ready box: Any container that houses pyrotechnics on the firing line (it will be set back following accepted distances) that has a self closing lid. This box is not for containment, nor is it fire proof, its only job is to shelter pyrotechnics from the elements and sparks. Tool boxes, trash cans (PGI uses these on the B line), plywood boxes (PGI uses these on the rocket line).

Day Box: (See the orange book) Is a container meeting specific criteria set forth by the ATFE in which pyrotechnics are stored during manufacturing or as a temporary staging place until they are moved to the magazine. There are time limits and storage requirements as well that are not addressed here.

Mumbles, Sidewinder, do we have a link to the BATFE Orange Book here? Its free, its the law.

D

Dagabu, I know that. It be damn near impossible to built something that would be able to survive if its contents were to go off.

I am going to use sheet Aluminum ,1/8" thick, in which case the wood would do the same amount of damage IMHO.

I'm planning on making the box completely weather proof as well, so just wood isn't going to cut it for me.

Dagabu, I know that. It be damn near impossible to built something that would be able to survive if its contents were to go off.

I am going to use sheet Aluminum ,1/8" thick, in which case the wood would do the same amount of damage IMHO.

I'm planning on making the box completely weather proof as well, so just wood isn't going to cut it for me.

If you are going to do that then I suggest that you add the two locks as per the AFT regs and have a Type 4 Mag.

Please post pictures, we like pictures!

D