APC Forum

Making Red without Strontium,but starch....

Emerald

Hello,

i am searching now like crazy,but i didn't find the Thread...

I remeber it was here on that site but i couldn't find it.

It was a Comp for making red stars without the commonly known red-producing agents like strontium-salts.

The courius thing i remember the formula uses starch as the red colouring producing agent.

would be very thankful if you could help me try find the thread or the formula.

When i am right i think there also was a link to youtube for this cool red-comp with the starch.

Greetings:

Emerald

Starches usually contain a lot of carbon, which won't contribute in any way to a red flame. I think your source might be wrong, or you remember incorrectly. Strontium salts are really the only practical chems for use in reds. Lithium salts produce deep red flames when heated but I haven't heard of them being used for fireworks.

Hello,

thanks for your answer...

Anywhere i read this but where is the question.

I first mentioned it was here...

It really sounds weird to make a red comp with starch as the coloriser...,

i know that too i am a proved chemician and i know a bit of pyrotechniques since i was young.

Normally i wouldn't remember something when it isn't useful.

And because i have something in mind with red-comp and starch anything must be behind that.

Maybe i find it again...

Thanks for your help.

greetings:

Emerald

The usual colourant for RED is strontium, a distant second comes Lithium both as salts. Strontium has few problems and is easy to buy, lithium salts have some problems notably that they are hugely hygroscopic, almost deliquescent. Lithium salts are used in colouring the flames of polar liquids, as they usually dissolve in water and alcohol, but not in parafin, petrol etc.

Do NOT believe all you see on youtube.

Hello,

thanks for answering.

I am from germany and maybe i saw a youtube video where i something mistranslated and starch and red-comp stayed in my mind which maybe is false.

I am trying to remember where this could come from and i give you reply.

Thanks so far.

Greetings:

Emerald

• 3 months later...

This is an old thread, but Strontium Carbonate is available from places like Seattle Pottery at ridiculous prices. In modest bulk, I wouldn't be surprised if food-grade corn starch from a grocery store isn't more expensive. Somehow I've ended up with maybe 40 pounds of strontium carbonate which is far more than I'll ever use. The nitrate is more expensive, and harder to find, but the carbonate seems to work OK in many comps.

I've got some reagent-grade lithium chloride but haven't tried it yet. I'm saving it for the day when I am certified nuts and I may need to self-medicate!

j/k :blink: