APC Forum

Why I love rockets

dagabu

• 1 year later...

I got up and personal at the mass rocket launch this past summer in Mason City, here is my video. Please post your favorite rocket video, CATOs and ground blooms are welcome! :)

D

http://www.pyrobin.c...e%20rockets.wmv

THAT was insane!

That aint nothin, I gots more!

Sorry Gun, you did ask for that ;)

-dag

I REALLY wish I lived near an event like that, or even driving distance. Rockets are awesome!

We are going to do another mass launch on Thursday night during PGI if the weather holds. Its a lot of fun to sit and watch the rockets from just a few hundred feet from the line. B)

-dag

I made some whistle rockets for Walpurgis Night but almost all rockets CATO (the core was all too long). When I've got the rockets to work properly I'll upload a video :).

Here's one of my favorite rockets:

and those
Edited by TheEvilGod

Where is the pgi this year??

Steve

3.5 hours away :D

9 hours from La Porte and 14 hours to PA.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

220 miles and I have kindervolk there as well. You probably have leaves on the trees though, we had 30° temps and snow yesterday, the buds on the trees all shriveled up :(

-dag

Edited by dagabu

You'd think with the constant weather problems, of which last year's flooding debacle is just the most recent, they'd hold it in a place with a decent climate.

220 miles and I have kindervolk there as well. You probably have leaves on the trees though, we had 30° temps and snow yesterday, the buds on the trees all shriveled up :(

-dag

Leaves, flowers, and we have been picking Strawberries for a week :)

Leaves, flowers, and we have been picking Strawberries for a week :)

You suck ;)

How do you get a rocket motor to properly bump the chute out at the end of the climb?

I tried a dab of flash and a tiny hole off to the side of the end plug and it melted the plastic and the rocket bounced on landing instead of floating down gracefully....

How do you get a rocket motor to properly bump the chute out at the end of the climb?

I tried a dab of flash and a tiny hole off to the side of the end plug and it melted the plastic and the rocket bounced on landing instead of floating down gracefully....

With something very gentle, I think. Flash would be much too violent. Try a gram or two of loose rocket fuel for a gentle push, and protect the parachute and its strings by putting sawdust in between.

Great question! In model rockets I use black powder, just a gram of it in the space above the end of the motor delay, this creates the gas to eject the chute. I have taken to using paper towels saturated in a boric acid wash for wadding as they do not burn when the BP is lit.

The "end of the climb" is a trick you have to experiment with. I have found that I prefer an ejection (no jokes Ralph) right after apogee at the end of the upward coast phase which is 1.5 ID of fuse powder with Ti for me.

-dag