APC Forum

Wind Bell Shells

Arthur

They seem to just hang there! How are they made? What's in them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyxg34UBt0E

Huh...cool! Almost looks like a couple large hunks of strobe wired together with something more for drag to slow their descent? Nice effect!

it looks as if maby there small tubes(thin like lances, but larger ID) filled with strobe, and maby primed at both ends? or clusters of small flash pots?

it looks as if maby there small tubes(thin like lances, but larger ID) filled with strobe, and maby primed at both ends? or clusters of small flash pots?

At the end, about 4 seconds remaining, you can see one of the parachutes lit up. I agree, strobe pots on parachutes.

D

Some sort of sycamore seed helicopter blades involved?

I will do a screen grab and tweak the contrast but it looks like a canopy to me.

D

I'm guessing its 3-4 stobes on a parachute. They must be pretty small, that would be a lot to pack into a 6" ball shell. Its a really nice effect up close, some of the far away videos make it look kinda lame. Edited by psyco_1322

• 3 weeks later...

Parachute is right, I found this video of the same effect during the day, you can see the chutes.

:13 is when the first one goes up.

Parachute is right, I found this video of the same effect during the day, you can see the chutes.

:13 is when the first one goes up.

WOW! It looks like a lantern, totally round. Amazing!

Updup, when are going to make one for us to see?

D

WOW! It looks like a lantern, totally round. Amazing!

Updup, when are going to make one for us to see?

D

Heh, at the rate I'm going, never.

It did get me thinking though, you could hook some strobe pots on a sky lantern with a 30 second delay fuse. It would be a pretty cool effect, while being easy ( though pricey) to make.

Heh, at the rate I'm going, never.

It did get me thinking though, you could hook some strobe pots on a sky lantern with a 30 second delay fuse. It would be a pretty cool effect, while being easy ( though pricey) to make.

PGI, August 2009, right outside the 1.4 sales area. We all looked like a bunch of penguins (or turkeys) staring at them with our mouths open. :lol:

I launched a lantern last night with a bundle of flying fish on 3' of thin visco and added an extra wax pad, it was about 1000' when the fish lit. It was very pretty.

Strobe pots:

*100-200 mesh

post-9798-1262456363_thumb.jpg

Edited by dagabu