APC Forum

Farfalle insert

vladou

Hello, I'm not sure about what metal to use with BP meal in farfalle composition. I have 325mesh bright flake aluminium, 300-400mesh atomized sperical aluminium, 60-200mesh iron, 116microns magnesium and 70microns magnalium. Can somebody help me ? (I don't think my metals are coated and I don't have and don't want to use neither boric acid nor K dichromate)

(mmh, wrong place, sorry)

Edited by vladou

Bright flake aluminum will be better than others. I tryed atomized, but composition was high speed and hat small quantity of nice sparks. Sparks of magnalium hawe shorter durability. I dont know how much, I used 10% of Aluminum and composition was faster than 20% in BP.

Maybe 10 is sufficient. ...????

Other than the Ti, MgAl and Spherical Al would be your best choices , in my experiences the Bright flake burns too fast and doesn't give any sparks, just a white flame.

I do believe that all of your metals are far too fine to be used in this effect, sorry. Traditionally it is iron that is used, but Ti and FeTi are far more common currently. The iron you have might be okay, but is on the finer side of things. Perhaps if you have the means to screen out everything passing 100 mesh.

Karlos, I think I will go with 15%.

Freakydutchmen, I don't have any Ti.

Ventsi, don't you think that my atomized Al and MgAl are too fine ? What would you choose ?

Mumbles, I didn't know that iron was traditionally used. It will do gold sparks right ? Yeah, I could pass it through my 120mesh screen.

Of course, I'd take what would stay in the screen. But what metal I have do you think will make the most beautiful effect ? Edited by vladou

Thank's Klasskroegbaas. I already saw it. It was a beautiful shell.

I think I will go with 15% Mg since it's my corser metal and I'd like a whitish/silver effect.. But my Mg is not coated.. Will it react with my meal powder ?

Yes, the nitrate in the meal will eat at the magnesium. Its not something you will want.

The bright Al would give a Reaper Silver looking farfalla. The iron might also work if you want a orange-gold look. The magnalium would likely add a interesting crackling noise to the devices, along with a short spray of brightish sparks.

Maybe...

With the ease of making them, and the little time it takes, just make a few different ones. Separate out some 10g batches for meal and add various metals to them, maybe mix some metals to combine effects. Leave the Mg out of the testing. Go stab a stick in the ground outside, tape the Farfalla to it, light and watch. Find out what will work via experiment.

I agree with psyco_1322 uncoated magnesium is very unsafe to combine with meal powder. I should use the aluminium powder. Or buy some titanium sponge.

vladou,

Sometimes you actually have to buy some more stuff to make different items. What you need to do is go order some appropriate Ti for the effect. You will also be able to use it in a lot of other things, so its good to have around. If not, go do some testing, find out which one of those metals you like the best.

There is the possability to use a couple diffrent farfalle inserts, is there not? arranged in a pattern maby?(Like orange, then silver, repeating untill you have your Six(?) inserts?) Or make a few, and see what you like best.

Mmh..

Psyco, I don't have enough time to buy some Ti before new year. But I'm sure I could use something else like atomized aluminium or even magnalium. Of course the effect will not be more beautiful than Ti. I will give a try with Al and MgAl.

(oh, and don't call me vladou :D my name is Vladimir but girls call me vladou.. it's a little bit gay when guys call me like that :) )

Another Slavic fellow? from where if I may ask?

And I'd go with the atom. Al, it should give you the longest lasting effect.

• 11 months later...
Alright, I realize I am raising this thread from the dead here, but I have a question. I have everything needed to make a farfelle shell, except for the tubes. What size of tube should I use for a 3" canister shell filled with farfelle inserts? I don't have any 4" mortars at the time so making a bigger shell isn't really an option. I made a small batch of the meal and ti comp, It worked like a charm.